Rudi's 490 litre low tech planted tank [updated 15 Aug 13]

Thr33Swords

Hey Guys,

So I got a new tank made by Greg Kingston (you guys were right, Greg's handiwork is amazing) that is 181cm x 52cm x 52cm. He delivered it for me today, and now the fun can begin. It all started with me buying a new cabinet off TradeMe, for the purpose of getting a custom tank made to fit. I'll put some photos at the end of the post of the new tank sitting next to the cabinet with the current tank on it.

So, I guess for this thread I will update as I make progress. For this first post I will list my goals, what I have done already, and my plans for the future. So without further adieu:

Goal:

To have a heavily, but still somewhat low-tech planted tank, with peaceful community fish with automatic water change system.

What I have done so far:

• Bought Cabinet

• Custom tank made

• New accessories purchased - 2 x 300w heaters (using current 150w as a backup), external canister filter, fluorescent lights and fittings

• Wood purchased for canopy

• Drift wood, plants and gravel ordered

• Move the current tank out of the way to set the new tank up.

• Build a canopy for it to match the cabinet and make it look like it was all one unit to start with.

• Aquascaping and filling of the tank, the do a fishless cycle.

• Slowly introduce my current fish to the new tank once cycled.

What I still have to do:

• Fill gaps, sand and varnish the canopy to match the cabinet.

• Buy items needed for and build an overflow system as well as a drip system for automatic water changes.

• Buy more awesome looking fish :P

Photos:

1015516_10151658726763464_1969854470_o.jpg

1009150_10151658726833464_1672366100_o.jpg

Added June 18th:

1015142_10151669350183464_1859662956_o.jpg

Added June 26th:

20130625_192132_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20130625_192201_RichtoneHDR.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice and long, looks good.

If the fish are going into the new tank then I would either dump all the media from the old filter into the new filter and run it in the small tank untill yo move the fish or when the new tank is setup just run both filters on the new tank for a few weeks if the media wont fit the new filter. will save on having to do a cycle on the new tank.

Nice and long, looks good.

If the fish are going into the new tank then I would either dump all the media from the old filter into the new filter and run it in the small tank untill yo move the fish or when the new tank is setup just run both filters on the new tank for a few weeks if the media wont fit the new filter. will save on having to do a cycle on the new tank.

That's exactly what I did :P It's been running on the small tank since Tuesday. I went from two hang-on filters to a huge canister filter. I bought some ceramic rings and other bio filter media, as well as filter wool and chucked it all in the canister filter along with the old media. I also plan on using the gravel, driftwood and the rocks from the current tank as well, so I should get a decent amount of bacteria in the new tank.

I also have a third hang on filter, of which I have been seeding the last couple of weeks as well, to run the small tank as I slowly introduce the fish to the new tank. I also have a large bottle of Nutrafin Cycle as a backup.

it may be to late, but for a good low tech planted tank a nutrient rich substrate play an important role.....

is that just plain substrate?

Only the top layer is plain gravel, underneath I have some flourite substrate. I am following the low-tech guide that I found here:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/pla ... ank-guide/

A few updates:

The tank water has cleared up beautifully, I have about 50 plants in there (Think I'll add some more though) and the fish seem to be loving their new home. Now I can't wait for my plants to grow a little haha. I might get some already grown plants to populate the background however, seeing as how this is a low tech tank and these plants will take a while to grow.

How much did it cost to have the tank made? I really want to upsize my 1200mm tank, and the cabinet would fit it, just need to convince the bank (wife) lol

Greg (Tanks2U) built it for $400 which included super clear glass for the front pane (he had a piece lying around). If you don't have it, here's his details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanks2u

Greg Kingston

Auckland

Quality custom built aquariums and sumps, trickle filters

Can be shipped from Manukau Auckland to anywhere in the country

Phone: 09 273 4121

Mobile: 021 900 727

email: [email protected]

So my plants seem to be doing really well, lots of new growth, and I have to say I am surprised at how quickly they're growing considering I am doing a low tech low light set up.

Here's some photos of the tank showing how it looks in the living room... I think I need a bigger TV now, it looks so small in comparison :P

1039645_10151692004168464_1043041060_o.jpg

965605_10151692004113464_181382545_o.jpg

looks good

:spop:

Thank you :)

Here's a small update on my plants:

Only lost two plants so far, but I chalk that up to the fact that they spent nearly a week and a half in transit due to the bad weather and flooding that kicked up a stink in the South Island.

The rest of the plants are doing extremely well, some have doubled in size since I planted them two weeks ago, which is amazing to me since I expected very slow growth in a very low tech/low light set up. Just to add some more bigger plants apart from my silk ones (which I'll take out when the real plants are big enough) I have added some oxygen weed from Animates yesterday. I'd like to add even more plants, especially ones that are already a bit larger

Here's some photos I took yesterday:

943543_10151711074098464_1728301655_n.jpg

1016707_10151711074213464_692413998_n.jpg

945402_10151711074028464_643757996_n.jpg

1017353_10151711074063464_1638648764_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Since I haven't updated in a while, I figured I'll do so now :)

Ended up getting rid of the oxygen weed because my fish seemed to hate it. They would rip the plants out of the substrate, no matter how many times I replant it haha. At least my other plants are growing nice and tall, so I will soon do a re-scape to trim and replant some of the taller plants. I also added 3 Amazon swords to the back of the tank, so hopefully they'll grow nicely and fill the background up.

Fish wise, I added 3 baby bristlenose pleco's. Not only are they adorable, they're also proving to be the most amazing little vacuum cleaners I have ever seen. I didn't have what I'd call an algea problem, but I would end up with a little bit of brown algae on plants, rocks, driftwood and the glass. Less than a week in the tank and the 3 have cleaned every single surface in the tank! I now add courgette to supplement their diet, and will buy some algae wafers as well.

Recent photos:

20130729_175642.jpg

20130729_175637.jpg

And here's one of the pleco's sitting on my driftwood:

20130720_180032.jpg

I just dose Seachem Flourish Complete twice a week using their recommended dosage. Seems to be doing the trick. I am buying some dry ferts now, however. So will be changing how I dose in the future. I did consider using Excel, but to be honest I am getting more than satisfactory results from this alone, so maybe I'll leave it for now.

I am going to be setting up another tank soon, so will try and go a little more high tech and see how that goes.

UPDATE: I did a complete rescape. Well, when I say complete I pulled all the plants, added new stuff, replanted everything, then did a 50% water change. I found this amazing driftwood at Lake Pupuke a while ago, so decided to put it in the tank today.

Yes, that is one long piece, I have some of the rocks overhang it a little bit, I like the look.

Here's some photos of what the tank looks like now:

20130806_210948.jpg

20130806_211032.jpg

20130806_211221_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20130806_211239_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Me neither haha. I am considering getting some Excel and increasing my lighting until the plants have grown a bit more. I'll give it a month to see how they get on first though.

If they grow as fast as they did last month, then the tank should start filling up in a few months time as I trim and replant.