"Sort of Wabi kusa" build

Howsie

A small update with some pics. cup number 1 went without watering for a few days and the alternathera on accident but after a mini flood its back to growing again. The bacopa is growing out of control it seemed to slow down but after the flood it has nearly doubled in size. the unidentified plant is growing ok and the indian fern is growing pretty well to but I forgot to get a good shot of that. Im going to be on the look out for a container for a new one to possibly replace the smaller container. But anyway here is the pictures

009_zpscbe3fa3e.jpg

008_zpsf074c071.jpg

007_zpsb68a3b5e.jpg

003_zps6a4c37fe.jpg

If you have one you should post a picture of then. I might be able to steal your ideas. Just finished making a ball and adding moss. This ball is approximately 1 part compost: 1 part flourite sand: 3 parts daltons aquatic mix and seems to be holding up alright. Im thinking about adding the alternathera to it or maybe try a crypt thats in the tank at the moment but for now I want to get the moss growing well and I might add something else down the road.

009_zpsf290b503.jpg

yeah the stones were just chucked in to keep a gap between the glass and the ball also to some extent to keep the ball from disintegrating in the water.I will do something nicer but for now im more focussed on plant growth

nice variety however I think you have an unfair advantage :D. is that indian fern in the back of the last pic? Ive got some of that growin at the moment and it looks really different emersed. looks good and let me know how the hair grass goes would like to try some

nice variety however I think you have an unfair advantage :D. is that indian fern in the back of the last pic? Ive got some of that growin at the moment and it looks really different emersed. looks good and let me know how the hair grass goes would like to try some

a little unfair eh ;)

yup got it in a bag with an amano shrimp so i thought id try it out.

tthink itll do well sending out runners already.

It might be a while before i upload any pics as i just dropped my laptop and cracked the screen pretty bad. but i can stilk use my phne so I'm not completely cut off. while I'm here how fast would a crypt grow emersed excluding acclimating time. i have a few small crypts that could look alright in the new wabi but obviously i want it to eventually grow to a decent size. i know they are slow geowers in the tank but are they any faster out water? Thhanks

sirry about the typos they're a pain to fix on this phone and sometimes new ones pop up when i try to fix them

Yep, would quite like to try get some of my carnivorous plants in the mix (sundews etc would work) - you couldn't fertilize and would need pretty high light too. I've got plenty of them growing outdoors in my bog garden...

• 4 weeks later...

So here's some pictures so far:

029_zps69d5adca.jpg

The Moss ball is acclimating well, still need to find some smaller stones

030_zps81d28f24.jpg

Lots of growth in here so I think I'll thin it out and put some Alternathera in with the moss ball

028_zps18e724b0.jpg

This ones not looking good at all but I'm not too worried as I'm focusing mainly on the other two

027_zpsa343b09c.jpg?t=1378880331

The Flower

026_zps51395408.jpg?t=1378880331

Another shot of the flower

034_zpse638b437.jpg

Another little flower close to opening