Am i right or wrong

chris b

My brother and i have had a discussion he thinks if I had a fish tank full of water and 1 fish the water level would drop because the fish would drink or absorbs the water turning the water into energy and energy evaporating thus dropping the water level.

I thought the fish in the tank would absorb the water using it in its system and pissing it back into the tank and the water level would never change not including evaporation.

Can anyone tell me if either of us is correct?

the water level would drop because the fish would drink or absorbs the water turning the water into energy and energy evaporating thus dropping the water level.

I thought the fish in the tank would absorb the water using it in its system and pissing it back into the tank and the water level would never change not including evaporation.

Can anyone tell me if either of us is correct?

You are correct. The water the the fish absorbs stays as water and doesnt change.

wouldn't the water level rise? the fish would absorb and drink some of the water but the solid parts of the fish will displace some volume. So if your tank was full and you added a fish it would over flow.

Edit. I should have read the question properly haha

You are correct. The water the the fish absorbs stays as water and doesnt change.

so the water doesn't get changed into energy? it stays as water threw the fishes system and when it urinates it will eventually pass all the water it absorbed every last drip?

sorry if i'm going over the same thing again just trying to understand it correctly

Mass can't change into energy. Stored energy in an animal is fat, but it's still mass. You can take the energy in something and put that energy into something else, but since you've got a closed system, there is no where else for it to go.

wouldn't the water level rise? the fish would absorb and drink some of the water but the solid parts of the fish will displace some volume. So if your tank was full and you added a fish it would over flow.

Your looking at it different to what i'm trying to figger out. "So if your tank was full and you added a fish it would over flow" yes but not what i'm getting at sorry

so the water doesn't get changed into energy? it stays as water threw the fishes system and when it urinates it will eventually pass all the water it absorbed every last drip?

sorry if i'm going over the same thing again just trying to understand it correctly

No, it doesn't get changed into energy. Biologically the water isn't an energy source it's more of a solvent or carrier for nutrients.

Bit more complicated when you add in osmotic pressures, etc but that's another matter.