Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bulk filter sponge

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

Anyone know where to get large pieces of medium-coarse filter sponge? The LFS charges like a wounded bull for it :)

Para or similar? Bunnings has none

Cheers

  • Author

Any old sponge I can use in a filter will do, pref a few different grades. I'd rather pay packing foam prices, not aquarium supplies prices ;)

Check para rubber and ask them for aquarium or food safe sponge.

A couple of years ago I bought the wide pored stuff from them and they had it in sheets like the picture. I don't think it's very common though, last time I asked they had just run out and it was going to be 2 weeks before they got it in again.

When it comes to surface area - which is what you want for filtration - and flowrate then no packing foam beats open-cell poret foam.

Think about it:

Packing foam has to be flexible and needs a lot of cushion effect for its porpose. This comes from closed cells and soft material. Closed cells are pretty much useless for filtration due to the lack of surface for bacteria to live. The softness is achieved with plasticizer which will slowly leech into your tank and the foam disintegrates after a few years.

Been there, done that - waste of time and money in the long run...

JaSa

I'm pretty sure I got open cell foam from para. Though their closed cell stuff is cheap and seems ok, it isn't fit for purpose like JaSa says

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.