Need breeding advice on green & golden bells

So I've done a bit of research into breeding these guys but since there is not a lot of info in regards to captive breeding I would like other people's in put into this. It's very nearly winter and I'm sure my 2.5 year old frogs should be mature by now. I would like to know how others have gone about breeding them? E.g any special diet, changes in temp over winter into spring, around what time of year should it happen, any special preparations I should know about :) Tia

It would be best to wait until spring to breed them because that will fit in with their natural breeding clock. You need a few males for each female and you may need a good set of ear muffs as the males compete with each other for breeding rights. I brumated mine down to about 12 degrees over winter then raised the water temperarure up to just over 20 degrees C in spring. Lots of mixed live food to condition them up.You can get fly traps on trademe, as well as locusts, crickets etc will get them ready. Best to start breeding insects now as it will get pretty expensive buying heaps of food for the babies when you get them

It would be best to wait until spring to breed them because that will fit in with their natural breeding clock. You need a few males for each female and you may need a good set of ear muffs as the males compete with each other for breeding rights. I brumated mine down to about 12 degrees over winter then raised the water temperarure up to just over 20 degrees C in spring. Lots of mixed live food to condition them up.You can get fly traps on trademe, as well as locusts, crickets etc will get them ready. Best to start breeding insects now as it will get pretty expensive buying heaps of food for the babies when you get them

Hey Alan what's your thoughts on feeding them mealworms? That was what I had for my bells when I had them years ago along with home made coke bottle fly traps lol.

They're pretty cheap and fatty mealworms as well as very easy to breed and keep. Could be an option for becky, just not too sure whether they're any good at digesting their chitin.

Thanks for the advice :) I will most defiantly wait until spring and let them do it naturally! Have just transferred them into a much bigger tank with some younger ones I have. Hopefully they don't eat those young'uns. I have heard that they quiet often eat mice in the wild... It's been on my mind for a while now to maybe breed some mice and feed them the young..... Not sure how this comment will go down but I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried this as a source of food?

It's been on my mind for a while now to maybe breed some mice and feed them the young..... Not sure how this comment will go down but I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried this as a source of food?

Not sure how many have tried it but a few have expressed an interest in trying it. If I remember rightly it usually stirs up a fair bit of discussion around the ethics and maybe legalities involved.

Pinky mice are frequently fed by reptile breeders and I have had a green and gold (albino) try to eat another one the same size as itself and all I could see was feet when I rescued it---was never the same but lived. Your smaller ones are likely to get eaten.Pinkies are good food value.

on 'the' german Axolotl forum they recommend not to feed Axos with mammal meat but my big Axos do like a pinky every 3rd month. when I lived in the old world I did breed mice for my snakes, toads and frogs. I don't see a problem with the law here in NZ if you use rodents as feeders.

Never been able to get any of my frogs to eat anything dead....

It is a mouse.....it is the circle of life. Everyone needs to eat and in the wild mice are eaten by frogs. I don't hear the staff at the SPCA complaining about how their roast chicken was killed or wondering what the cow looked like before she was turned into sausages.... We frequently hear stories from upset people because the SPCA won't take a dog because it is to much like a pig dog. Or an elderly person dies and the SPCA is not taking on cats at the moment... As much as I love the work the SPCA does I am often also disappointed by them..... Anyway have gone off topic a little bit. I'll keep it a secret If I decide to feed pinkies so I don't upset anyone. After all I've always got the worm farm I can feed out of ( really hope that isn't frowned on by anybody ;) )

Not sure about the worm farm worms but I have fed worms from the compost heap and I know someone who collects and feeds crickets. They are more fertile after brumating and must be thinking about doing that at present. I don't have frogs at present but most of my reptiles are happily brumating at present.

They will breed when the conditions are right for them, they especially get amorus after or during rain, so misting the tank with rainwater can help. You may have to wait until the weather is right for your area, also depends on your tank. How much room you have, how many frogs there are, they breed in and on water etc....

Currently have 8 frogs in the tank. 4x nearly 3year olds and 4 from the season just gone. The younger ones have been in the tank for 3 days now and so far haven't managed to get themselves eaten! Yay. Tank measures 1.5m length x 50cm width x 80cm height. Lots of places to hide among the driftwood, rocks and baby house plants. Water is contained in a litter tray (brand new and unused by cats :) currently in the process of having a custom built glass tank/water container) have turned all lights off in the tank. When should I start feeding them again? And how will the young ones cope without food? I live in Nelson if that helps :) sorry for all the questions. As much research as I do on these guys it's still trial and error for me. Although I'm kinda proud that I haven't killed my big frogs yet :)

I would be a dicey about brumating newly morphed frogs as they may not have enough condition to survive. Someone with more experience may be able to confirm or deny. They (in my case) clung to the glass and developed a coating during brumation then in the spring I just wound the temperature up and it was all go. They do breed best after rain and I got my setup to rain by adding a pump and timer to spray water for about 4 hours during the night. Rain only comes after brumation, raised temperature and lots of good food.

If you learn how to look after them in the first place then they will possibly just breed. In saying that they hardly breed in captivity and to do so properly will generally cost you a small fortune, predominantly in time and food.

Stick to the basics- like food and environment. Wouldn't worry about brumating (not necessary for breeding anyway) atleast not until you have all the basics sorted - same goes for breeding.

Good luck with it - this webstie has some good info if you spend the time to look/search - also copious amounts via google. :thup:

Haha boo! That's such a good name for a frog lol. Awesome video. Tempts me even more :). Not going to make a big deal about lowering temp etc. maybe just sprinkle some rainwater closer to spring and see what happens. It's been a big effort to keep them nice and healthy so far so I guess I'll still be happy even if they don't breed.