Reuben's nano reef build (update pics 03/07/13)

reuben.a

Hi guys, this is my AR380 nano reef.

The tank is run using all stock equipment apart from replacing tropical bulb with marine actinic and daylight bulb and carbon has been removed. It has been running for almost 2 months.

No fish yet, just letting it run until completely stable and more mature, and until I have enough pocket money for an orchid dottyback :P

Corals:

Two ricordea yumas' (green, and orange)

Green star polyps

Palythoas (greens and purples)

Orange zoas

A tiny leather that popped up

Pics:

null_zps23a3f553.jpg

null_zpsd1e570a8.jpg

null_zpsbcf95ec6.jpg

null_zps639d27a3.jpg

null_zps7cbe5fec.jpg

null_zps52e97f00.jpg

null_zpsd49d42c3.jpg

null_zps7b83d8bb.jpg

• 1 month later...
is that a dreaded apitasia in the third photo back corner of the tank?

yes, yes it is lol but thats fully under control, just need to get to them as soon as they appear rather than leaving them for another day haha

and yep nsw all the way! i like it - but i have to be honest, i havent actually had experience with asw before so i cant compare but yeah anyway i havent had any problems with bad water quality from nsw or anything so so far so good:)

for water changes i do around 10l every week and a half usually, so quite a lot considering my tanks only 35 litres but regular water changes are a must as im not using any other means of filtration apart from live rock and a bit of sponge in the top filter part.

i want to buy some new lights but id be wanting good ones so my thinking is that if im gonna spend a bit on lights, i might aswel upgrade to a slightly larger tank around 100 litres maybe and i want a sump because then there is more room for media and a skimmer:P

im short for money at the moment so might have to find a job to fund my pricey hobby hahaha damn! :rotf:

Ive just switched from NSW to ASW, simply because over the winter i cant get out and get a good NSW collection often enough for my tank... not that its big but im wanting to stick to weekly changes every sunday.

So Ive bought puredue and some coral salt for my changes... seems to be going well.

For lighting, im also on a tight budget so I went DIY with LED lighting, is that much of an option for you? check my fluval edge thread, if you want more detials PM me, i can help if you want to do something more specific with the lights... mine are still in progress there will be more added.

Im really digging nano's at the moment!

Yeah ive seen your tank, its coming along great! Very tidy and i love bangaiis haha, im considderring getting one for my tank. and Well the plan was to get better light and a wavemaker and then just remove top filter/light canopy because lights arent the best and filter doesnt do much but yeah, ive also thought about sumping it which could work id do it with an overflow that wont take up much tank space such as this one recommended by Ethan Russell on here,

http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/upl ... nout-2.jpg

they are fairly pricey though but a sump on this tank would mean i can think about a skimmer and possibly a dosing pump to get some nice corals growing well!

nanos are awesome, once i started i was surprised how much easier they are than what people make them out to be...well see how my tank goes once i add a few fish :slfg: :spop:

ive thought about sumping to add a skimmer and remove heater etc... but really it starts to go against the reasons of having a nano for me.

I dont mind a regular weekly water change, I know its going to do good things and I know the reef salt im using is doing well for coral growth.

If i were you id stick with the standard setup as much as possible to maintain that nano usage.. tear out the lights and upgrade if you want/need to get better coral growth, but with light stock levels you will be find with that standard HOB filter and good water change schedule i reckon..

this is all my own opinion though!

and P.S. all cardanals are awesome, bangaii are extra cool.. there are a few local ones here going cheap too

• 2 weeks later...