Fry Help

livebearer_breeder

My bettas keep spawning but i only manage to get 4-10 fry to survive everytime atm. The nests get massively full, the fry seem to live until around a week after they are able to eat microworms and then they just die off 1 or 2 everyday until eventually i only have a few left that hit the grow out tanks. Any tricks out there? I use indian almond leaf in all my betta tanks and the fry tanks are barebottom with moss. They get there first water change at around 12 days and a day or two after that start dying off slowly.

Im sorry to hear that you're losing fry.

Do you feed them immediately when they start free swimming? because if they dont have food within a couple of hours they become weak and starve.

How big is your tank? If its too big the fry may not be able to find the food.

Is the water you add for water changes the same temp as the tank water?

Are you accidentally sucking up fry when you do water changes?

Yes i feed them as soon as they are free swimming

tank is 15l max at a guess and the perfect size in my opinion

I dont have this problem with the plakats, they seem aggressive and hardy even when young

Its only my EE/HM fem and red DT male that have this trouble, but they are the prettiest!

The water i add is the same water i use for all 16 of my tanks, its from a 200l plastic water reservoir so i always have water ready to go as i have alot of breeding fish and need alot of regular water changes, with a large water pump in it. literally thousands of fry from different species have lived happily using this method for the last 8 months.

Ive never had this problem before and ive bred a lot of betta but this is the first time ive been able to get the fancier fin types so im thinking theres something there.

Make sure the tank is well covered, the babies need warm moist air for their first gulps.

Also what foods are you using, I used to turn my tanks bright green with infusoria as soon as they were free swimming and then added a few extra brine shrimp naupili every now and then.

and try and reduce the amount of surface current as much as possible

My experience is that the 'fancy' fighters are harder to breed and keep alive. But if you think about it, think of all the messing around that has been done with them to get them looking like they are. Also here in NZ we dont get the best quality adults come in so thats not going to help their fry.