info wanted on Gold Honey Dwarf Gourami

BikBok

Hi All

I was browsing my LFS today and saw some Golden Honey Dwarf Gourami. I really like the look of these and am keen on adding a couple to my tank at some point.

I asked the staff member if they would be OK with my two pearl gourami, the other mostly smaller fish shouldn't be an issue. She said they should be fine.

Who here keeps gold honey dwarf gourami and what can you tell me about them?

I read on one website that they are prone to parasite infection.. .. that does concern me a little or is that not something to worry about.

I'm not interested in breeding , just want something different to the pearls to add to my tank so can I get two of any gender? .. male&female/ two males/two females.. or should I not have two males together?

thanks in advance for any advice

I have one but not with other gourami, only with minifish. He's pretty active and not aggressive.

I also heard they are prone to sickness but here's hoping mine stays good.

Is that for all types of dwarf gourami? I did have some ordinary dwarf gourami - the stripey ones, who only lived just over two years, not sure what the expected lifespan is for those ones. MY pearls are about 2 1/2 years and doing well.

Ive breed them before, they are cool little guys, inever had any problems with them getting sick and they werent getting alot of attention so they werent treated with amazing water quality.

that's good to know. Think I'll go ahead and get some.

Good to hear from you ... what have you been up to since HC?

I have this one. Cute little guy. He's happy with my loaches, g/cats and Bob the bristle nose.

He's the only survivor of 4 over the last 12 months.

7991036021_4cd1579321.jpg

IMG_0993 by danaj2009, on Flickr

cute. and I love how you named your BN! My hubby is going to call our dwarf gourami - Cheech and Chong.

I name some of my fish, I have Chromati (From terminator) - he's the rainbow shark. , Bik, Bok, Bak, Slim Shady (Kuhlis) , Brachy (Butterfly Pleco) , the pearls and guppy are unnamed. My fav guppy who is no longer with us was named Bubble Oh Seven. (Bond)

cute. and I love how you named your BN! My hubby is going to call our dwarf gourami - Cheech and Chong.

I name some of my fish, I have Chromati (From terminator) - he's the rainbow shark. , Bik, Bok, Bak, Slim Shady (Kuhlis) , Brachy (Butterfly Pleco) , the pearls and guppy are unnamed. My fav guppy who is no longer with us was named Bubble Oh Seven. (Bond)

He's gorgeous :thup: Looks alot like my Elton....he's the only survivor too. I know they are supposed to be in "pairs" but like your's he's quite happy with the others. Although my ram chases him sometimes.... Have you ever seen a grown woman growl a fish before :slfg:

He's gorgeous :thup: Looks alot like my Elton....he's the only survivor too. I know they are supposed to be in "pairs" but like your's he's quite happy with the others. Although my ram chases him sometimes.... Have you ever seen a grown woman growl a fish before :slfg:

I talk to my fish too!

Dana , is yours a female? Does she/he eat the plants ? I've got Java fern, windelov and a small amount of floating indian fern.

I talk to my fish too!

Dana , is yours a female? Does she/he eat the plants ? I've got Java fern, windelov and a small amount of floating indian fern.

Colourful dwarfs are male. It's hard to come by females as they're small, brown and fairly nondescript. Dwarfs are supposed to live up to 4 years, but it's common for them to have short life spans. Defective fish in my opinion, but still very sweet and I love watching them when something new is introduced to the tank. Inquisitive little things.

I think he's a she. :wink: I had 4. 2 boys and 2 girls. The girls have a faint black stripe down their side (just like the one pictured here) that comes and goes. The males are smaller and go bright orange around their tail area and their throat area goes a really dark navy colour when they get 'in the mood'. The girls also go orange around their tail region but not to the same extent as the males. They are one of the most beautiful fish in my community. I also have a very aggressive neon blue dwarf gourami that pretty much leaves them alone. Unfortunately one of the boys did get some kind of skin disorder so I euthanised him as I was worried it would spread. The remaining male is constantly building bubble nests and I occasionally see the girls releasing their eggs with him, which the Emerald Eyes Rosbora's immediately scoff down.

In other words, great and very entertaining fish. If you get some you won't be disappointed.

well I picked up two cuties today. will upload some pics tomorrow if I can catch them when they're out and about. ATM they're understandably a bit shy and are near the back of the tank where there's more cover. I have one annoying shark that keeps patrolling them. Hopefully he'll get bored and leave them alone. He never bothered any of my other gourami so I was surprised and frustrated to to see his behaviour.

Here's my two little guys... unfortunately i couldn't get a decent pic of them in the tank, so here's when they were first home and still in the bag. They have since oranged up a bit more as in the last pic.. had to crop to get a closer view but photo quality poor. .

GHdwarfGourami.jpg

the guppy is in front of the bag so looks huge in comparison!

But they are just little juveniles at the moment.

GHDG1.jpg

GHDG2.jpg

They are starting to come out a bit more. I was so worried the shark was going to kill them over night but hopefully he's startling to lose interest. His Chasing is not as intense.

well I've had my little dwarfs for around a week now and they are cute happy little guys. They are not hiding anymore and even brave hanging around the shark at feeding time.

But the poor wee things have had to put up with my tank crashing ... filter got turned off accidentally. Just hope it hasn't caused any long term damage, I haven't had any fish losses but am wary.