How does bacteria survive in those additive bottles

BikBok

I've been curious about this for a while.

If beneficial bacteria in the filter media etc need oxygen and food to stay alive.. how do they survive in those bottles such as TLC and Stress Zyme that are sold to boost the biological filter.

Some of the products have expiry dates several years away .. can they really last that long in a bottle ? product labelling says they contain millions of live bacteria!

They keep the bacteria in a suspended "spore" state, similar to the state that anthrax is in for Bio weapons.

there is also a couple of extra chemicals used to prolong the lifespan as most bacterial spores are not as long lived as Anthrax.

https://www.tlc-products.com/pdf/Patent1%20-%20A%20Method%20of%20Stabilizing%20Bacteria.pdf

I use TLC products and they work, pretty much thats all that matters

They keep the bacteria in a suspended "spore" state, similar to the state that anthrax is in for Bio weapons.

there is also a couple of extra chemicals used to prolong the lifespan as most bacterial spores are not as long lived as Anthrax.

https://www.tlc-products.com/pdf/Patent1%20-%20A%20Method%20of%20Stabilizing%20Bacteria.pdf

I use TLC products and they work, pretty much thats all that matters

thanks.

I use and like TLC , was just wondering how it stays alive lol.

It is easy enough to just let them establish naturally i find.

+1

If you have an established colony on enough media in the filter, you really don't need to add any more BB.

I used to religiously dose BB in my tank but then I tried stopping and found no difference in water quality/ fish health so I just put that money towards other things (most likely the power bill and more fish lol).

But I certainly never had any trouble with 'expired' BB either lol..

+1

If you have an established colony on enough media in the filter, you really don't need to add any more BB.

I used to religiously dose BB in my tank but then I tried stopping and found no difference in water quality/ fish health so I just put that money towards other things (most likely the power bill and more fish lol).

But I certainly never had any trouble with 'expired' BB either lol..

just setting up an extra tank and was wanting to get the cycle on it's way and that got me thinking about the bottled bacteria and how it stays viable. But now I know ! Thanks guys.