Matt's native tank (pics! 23/07/13)

M@.

Interesting updates on the shrimp!

I can't answer your question about how long they hold for, but if anyone has access to a copy of the nz Crustacea book, it is probably in there. Fascinating book, recently republished.

Regarding the kokopu, it is pretty normal for them to sleep all day hidden away under a rock. They are nocturnal after all. Some will be out more, some go through stages of sleeping lots. What amazes me is just how hard they are to rouse when asleep. One of mine slept wedged up against the glass. Nothing I did could rouse it during the day, including tapping the glass or shining a light in its eyes. Well, it might eventually respond, but it took ages. However if she went into the same place in the evening (her active time) she would freak out immediately if I walked past.

The trick with getting fish active is to feed them around the time when you want them to be active. Though it can take a while to train them into this. I had visitors one day who we there to see my fish. I showed them the apparently fishless riffle tank, then said to watch as I put food in. Nothing happened..... :facepalm: do that in the evening and there is an instant feeding frenzy!

cool, thanks for the reply! I suppose I’ve been taking 'nocturnal' as more of a guideline than a rule, as my koura normally goes for a couple for walks round the tank a day. Was imagining the Kokopu cowering out of the way somewhere, rather than just off having a snooze :yaw2:

normally feed them first thing in the morning, so might change that to after (my) lunch

Can't comment on the banded as I only have one hand it's out most of the time, in with WCMM as the two others that I got as post-whitebait got eaten in the big tank :(

One of the giants sleeps all day and only comes out at about 7 or 8, the others normally come out for a look if someone is in the room

might have just got a shy one aye, damn!

He wouldnt fit a WCMM in his mouth at the moment, was just thinking it might encourage him to come out more, and then take them out when he is bigger and hopefuly bolder. Ill see how I go, might not bother

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys!

so I have been away for a few days, and have come back to find my male redfin has turned jet black and has set up shop in a cave. He is beeing realy entertaining, shooting around all over the place!

One of my females is looking realy fat aswell, so here's hoping I might get a spawn!

IMG_0026_zps689996d3.jpg

what do you guys think? Im realy enjoying watching the different behaviour at any rate :)

Update: the female looked a bit skinny this morning, so thought she might have just got greedy at feeding time

but got a torch and had a look in the cave - the roof has a big patch of eggs!

super excited! not sure if I will be able to get a good photo of them. Kind of wishing I had a non-diadromous species now, but stoked they were feeling happy enough to exhibit this natural behaviour :)

just tried to get photos, no way I can get a good angle on them. Might try again tomorrow, if people are interested, when i can bring my water proof camera in

but in the meantime, here is dad guarding his nest :happy2: (the eggs are on the underside of that rock on the right)

IMG_0029_zpsb04c63fa.jpg

Ooh exciting! She sure got fat quick, and it looks like he has a great cave.

Remember the babies won't survive as they need to go to sea, but the adult behaviors really are amazing to watch! Also they are starting rather impressively early in the season. You could probably expect another two spawns from her this summer.

bully eggs :happy2:

the eggs themselves are slightly out of focus, but you get the idea

P7241114crop_zps95fb2c33.jpg

and my berried shrimp

photo_zps721bae59.jpg

I assume it is the same shrimp. I have 2 females, and it seems a bit of a long time for her to have them, so might be the other one

oh, sorry should have been clearer - the eggs have always been black. I was wondering what you ment by "halfway there"? (thought the eggs might change colour later on)

I have another female that doesn't have any eggs, and neither of them had any to start with

so, exactly a week later, I think I'm going to get another round of eggs!

The female red fin is looking fat as again, and I saw her duck into the cave where a bit of wriggling around on the roof happened. I wouldnt be supprised if she is looking all slim again tomorrow :D

Edit: so cool to watch the male try to lure her in. He swims up and sits facing her, the darts around so he is swimming directly over her and does a little shake before darting off towards his cave

so came into work yesterday and the koura had set up shop in the bullies cave. all the eggs had mysteriously disapeared as well :tears:

The female is looking skinny again so assume another lot of eggs is somewhere, havent been able to spot them yet, so may be in the koura aswell

If i find the eggs on something easily removable I might take them out and put them in my fry tank to see if i can get them to hatch at least

hmm, good point! Unfortunately I dont have anywhere i could put him at this stage...

and I have definately got a second, bigger round of eggs, with both females getting in on the act

Will the eggs survive if I move them?

They will survive if you move them. It is fascinating watching them develop and they little eyes appearing then the larva starting to wriggle.

Redfin being diadromous means the eggs are astonishingly small. Non diadromous eggs are a far better size for observing.whentheeggshatch the male will shimmy repeatedly over the eggs,which probably helps to release them. A friend raised some eggs away from the male and there was a decent proportion that seemed to get stuck. Also he had a bubbler in there to replace the male's oxygenating role, but I think it was too turbulent after hatching as they wound up with messed up swim bladders and didn't survive after the yolk was absorbed. Mine in a quieter tank spent a few hours vigorously swimming up and down the water column and had decent swim bladders after that.

Not hard rules, just a couple of observation that may or may not relate to reality..

• 2 weeks later...

bit of an update:

the last batch of eggs are still there, and the bigger female looks bout ready to pop again - been in and out of the cave with the male all day :happy2:

havent been able to take the koura out of the tank. noticed the male had a bit of an injury to his mouth about a week ago, but is all good now.

Just saw a tussle between the male and the Koura for the first time! It was pretty extreme, but looks as though the Redfin has the Koura right where he wants him which is good! The Koura has lost one of his back legs recently too