Wanting to build a glass tank

bart687

At 6'X3' for the base glass... at the thickness you would need would cost a small fortune on its own... without the rest of the tank.

If you "are" talking 34" (inches) high.. by six foot long by three foot wide... you are talking major weight, and could be looking at 15 to 20mm glass.

Warren has a glass thickness calculator on the other site (click the twin fish at the top of the page)

There are calculators for water volume listed in the Technical Section under "Useful Links"

Bill.

Bart687 said

My dimensions are three foot length and two foot width with height very much like the two foot and a half

From Craig

So converting that to metric, and rounding off, it's

915mm long

610mm wide

760 mm high

So multiply them out, that comes to 424 litres

We were only working off the information that you gave the forum.

Alan 104

Ok Alan.. there was a mix up with the measurements.. and we now know that he is looking at having a tank six foot long ((1082mm) by three foot wide (front to back .. 90omm) by thirty four inches height (870mm)

does 6 foot length sound english? .. (width) 3 (Foot) ( Height) 34 inches

Can someone work out the litres.. gallons... weight... glass thickness.. etc :)

Bill.

1,433 litres =1,433 kg

310 gallons = 3,100 lbs.

I think that's right Bill.

+ the weight of the glass, stand, rock/gravel, hood, lights, filters/sumps. My 14000 litre tanks weighs an approximate of 2.5 ton excluding the weight of anyone standing in front of it ;)

Pie

With 34" height and 3ft front to back you will also have to think how you are going to clean it. Also, how are you going to light it? Over 18" depth and light doesn't get through the water too well so the plants will not get enough light.

With 34" height and 3ft front to back you will also have to think how you are going to clean it. Also, how are you going to light it? Over 18" depth and light doesn't get through the water too well so the plants will not get enough light

so true, mine's 2 foot deep and high and even at those dimensions, it's a MISSION to get into! i would stick to 24" height (how long are your arms?!) you can always build a small platform or have a stepladder handy to reach across the depth (and depending on the length, you can always access a good majority of the tank from the sides)

dont forget 1,433 litres = 1,433kg with freshwater, saltwater = more

Only about 2.6% more. So 1433liters of saltwater would be about 37 kilos more. IMO it's close enough to not matter.:)

Water is also a bit mroe tha 8 lbs per gallon, not 10. but for the weight of a tank 10 would be better to include the weight of substrate, rocks, etc.

Only about 2.6% more. So 1433liters of saltwater would be about 37 kilos more. IMO it's close enough to not matter

and that's where misjudgements can be made. oh, and the rock is only 40 kilo's more, not enough to bother adding that in. oh, and we wont count the sand/gravel either coz thats only about 15kg's... it all add's up and is a point that is worthwhile taking into consideration.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if pies is reading the DIY stuff at the moment so will answer for him, sure he will correct me if I get it wrong.

Upstairs tank about 1400l

downstairs (refugium, sump, skimmer, plumbing (don't larf you'd be surprised how much water 20 odd meters od 40mm plumbing holds :D ), etc) about 1000l.

The web site has gone.

20 odd meters od 40mm plumbing holds

why would you factor this in? surely it's almost as bad as me adding weight of salt content to saltwater vs freshwater :D

YES OF COURSE IT DOES ALL ADD UP. Take all these little things that you dont think about and add them all up - suddenly you have another 100kg.

Oh, but its only another 10km/hr officer...? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

and that's where misjudgements can be made. oh, and the rock is only 40 kilo's more, not enough to bother adding that in. oh, and we wont count the sand/gravel either coz thats only about 15kg's... it all add's up and is a point that is worthwhile taking into consideration.

doesn't the rocks sand/gravel etc displace the water by its mass so effectively would still be the same weight (as the water goes up by the weight added)???

rock is (generally) more dense than water therefore heavier, if you want to get into specifics... my point is you need to factor in everything - even if you over estimate a bit or add a percentage of the tank and water.