Oddballs for a 4 foot tank

monkfish

im after ideas for some more oddballs to put in my 4 foot tank. Already to be moved in there is my blue Dempsey, Tiretrack eel and Pictus cat(will probably get a couple more Pictus too)

wondering if a Leopard Ctenopoma will work, i've always wanted one but might be too shy with a Dempsey? what do you think?

Tyre track will get too big. You should see pics of henwards old beast. 70+cm.

Ctenopoma will be fine in that tank. All the species of bichir except ornate will be fine. Smaller eel varieties. Pantadon butterfly fish. Chocolate cats. More pictus the better. Black ghost knife.

Got some choices.

Tyre track will get too big. You should see pics of henwards old beast. 70+cm.

Ctenopoma will be fine in that tank. All the species of bichir except ornate will be fine. Smaller eel varieties. Pantadon butterfly fish. Chocolate cats. More pictus the better. Black ghost knife.

Got some choices.

in saying that, most tyre tracks will probbly die before they exceed 40cms.

that was an anomaly, i got my tt when it was roughly 55cms.

its unusual for most of them to grow that big i reckon.

I find that most of the small ones i got died

when i got them around 30cm plus thats when i could grow them bigger.

but small ones i have had bad luck with, albeit i havent tried again since my failed second attempt.

may do again, i did love them!

here is the late Earnie the Eel.

tank height is 72cms

ate beef heart, prawns and prawns stuffed with massivore.

yeah my comment is based on personal experience.

the 15-20cm fire eels i have had never really grew at all.

the one i bought at 20cm over four years ago is still in my friends tank and is still the same length, just a little fatter is all.

Must be doing something wrong, they easily grow past that size.

My first fire eel got to 15" in about 2 years on nothing but bloodworms...

I've seen some that grow really fast and get huge, and others that seem to grow a bit slower and don't seem to have the same potential. I wonder how many of them get stunted after being kept in small tanks at importers/shops for far too long, eating poor food and/or not enough, poor water etc. Some seem to not get so large, I guess with the tank above you'd be right to keep one for some time, over-sized fire eels aren't usually too much of a problem to re-home!

Back when we had a 1000L display tank at work we have a 60cm Fire Eel surrendered. He was so awesome but sadly one day got sucked in the overflow and died in the sump :(

My current Fire eel is 30cm and eats pellets etc. Only had him for 4 odd months so will be interesting to see if he grows. My last one grew really quickly to 20cm from 10 in a couple of months but then stopped - that was probably my fault though as I was really new to big fish didn't have much idea on what I was doing :facepalm:

Back when we had a 1000L display tank at work we have a 60cm Fire Eel surrendered. He was so awesome but sadly one day got sucked in the overflow and died in the sump :(

My current Fire eel is 30cm and eats pellets etc. Only had him for 4 odd months so will be interesting to see if he grows. My last one grew really quickly to 20cm from 10 in a couple of months but then stopped - that was probably my fault though as I was really new to big fish didn't have much idea on what I was doing :facepalm:

Eel on pellets is great, easier to feed.