Anyone keeping Dats at the mo?

Fruju

Damn thats pretty quick. Do they get much bigger, I've read conflicting info - some say max 30cm, other say 60 - 90...

the thing is, when you get them from pet shops they are usually fed bloodworms.

blood worms have little to no goodness. definitely low in protein.

you should train them to eat pellets, at minimum prawns or fishf illets.

then they grow nicely, otherwise you stunt them.

in terms of size, i have personally seen her ein nz, one that is 45cm tip to tip...maybe even more, maybe 50cm.

35cm is easy, they are easy to grow, quite strong fish...

once they start to settle in and eat, they just keep eating, make sure you keep feeding to get the size potential.

when dats are fed right, with in 18 months they reach 30cms.

mind did.

Mine too, well at least my second one that was fed pellets and raised in a 600L then an 800L tank. In fact in under two years it nearly caught up to my older one I'd had for years and raised to ~28cm in a 4' tank that only ate shrimp and beefheart. IMO waiting for fish to physically "outgrow" a tank is one of the worst things you can do when raising large growing species.

Mine too, well at least my second one that was fed pellets and raised in a 600L then an 800L tank. In fact in under two years it nearly caught up to my older one I'd had for years and raised to ~28cm in a 4' tank that only ate shrimp and beefheart. IMO waiting for fish to physically "outgrow" a tank is one of the worst things you can do when raising large growing species.

Fully agree

space and excercise helsp them grow

just the ability to swim fast to food , snatch it and swim back helps them grow. all only with a large tank.

unles you are committed to getting a larger tank, you are just going to set up for a 'for sale, large dat i cant house anymore' type of sale.