Henward's Tank build: 1700Litres - Completed

henward

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't give you a time frame on the TFB's. i quite like them. they are around 10cm now and in that old tank with the rusty frame i bought off you couple years back (great tank btw). they are growing fast as so probably looking to rehome them once they get 15cm or so.

that's an awesome story about your pacu! ate a heater!! bahahah!

i also have 30+cm L001 plec if you want it now...

he totally should. though i've been trying to find pacu for ages with no luck.

I have seen them on Wonderworld aquatics website in rotorua if your still looking. Never actually seen them there but heres a link http://www.wonderworldpetcentre.co.nz/shop.php?action=moreinfo&itemid=5177

Sorry for going off topic

Nice tank and the fish are amazing

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good!

Regarding the sump and auto system, what happens in the even of a power cut? It looks like when the pump switches off a lot of the water will go out the drain from the sump, when it switches back on will the auto system detect the low water level and top it up? Does the control box remember all your settings when the power is switched off and back on?

Looking good!

Regarding the sump and auto system, what happens in the even of a power cut? It looks like when the pump switches off a lot of the water will go out the drain from the sump, when it switches back on will the auto system detect the low water level and top it up? Does the control box remember all your settings when the power is switched off and back on?

Temp controller and wc system all have a memory in it to retain settings.

as for the drain, i tested it, the water levels will struggle a little bit but enough is retained to keep the circulation going. Also the drain from the main tank is minimal, holes drilled onto the outlets mean siphon is minimal, enough to keep circulation going.

I go to the fishroom numerous times a day and when away someone checks it frequently, so should be ok cos i just press the water change button to top up.

its somethign i struggled with to make it so it doesnt drain much in powercuts - i needed the water levels high in the K1 media chamber and the only way to do that was to make that chamber about 10cm higher than the last.

the level switches are only in the drum for the wc. I run an aerator there now. 2000lph pump is replacing my current wc pump so its doing it much quicker than before. the current pump will be always on to have a good current in the drum at all times. i put some oyster shell in the drum too, so the current will help it 'pre buff' before going ito the sump.

I am refinding my water parameters to make it as stable as possible at around 6.5 min to 7max.

6.8 to 6.9 steady is the goal.

its somethign i struggled with to make it so it doesnt drain much in powercuts - i needed the water levels high in the K1 media chamber and the only way to do that was to make that chamber about 10cm higher than the last.

About the only thing you can really do is make the last chamber bigger, though it does look like a big waste of space. Could you put a 90* bend on the end of the drain and run a higher water level in the last compartment?

About the only thing you can really do is make the last chamber bigger, though it does look like a big waste of space. Could you put a 90* bend on the end of the drain and run a higher water level in the last compartment?

Thats a thought. the end is a 30 x 50 x 50

might try it, give it a runa nd see i suppose. always room to modify it i suppose.

after the completion, feels like weight off my shoulders and can finally 'enjoy' the tank as intended.

doing that right now :spop:

discvoered a quirk already.

the manifold that distributes water to the socks.

i am fiding that the 2 back socks are filling up way faster than the 2 front, i mean, its almost full now and the 2 front are only 3cm above water line.

So gotta 'Tune' that, no biggie.

will put reducing fittings to reduce the flow on the 2 back ones, turn it from a 25mm opening to a 15, then drill holes on the fitting thread to increase flow as tuning is required. better to go too small and enlarge than too big and cant reduce.

Interesting. Funny the little problems you come across with something like this. I just found that the two big LED flodlights I'm using for lighting my tank cast big straight front-to-back shadows from the black silicone on the bracing. Either need to add another in the centre or look at using something more like your set up, or the Beamsworks LEDs....

Interesting. Funny the little problems you come across with something like this. I just found that the two big LED flodlights I'm using for lighting my tank cast big straight front-to-back shadows from the black silicone on the bracing. Either need to add another in the centre or look at using something more like your set up, or the Beamsworks LEDs....

yeah, little thngs you cannot forsee, or try to foresee but get it wrong lol

part of the fun.

the lines, cant be too bad can they?

They're pretty noticeable, because the light comes from one direct spot and spreads out it casts a much more defined shadow that a typical aquarium light, which kinda looks cool when you see the shadow of the driftwood, but not when you see the shadow of the silicone in a straight line!

They're pretty noticeable, because the light comes from one direct spot and spreads out it casts a much more defined shadow that a typical aquarium light, which kinda looks cool when you see the shadow of the driftwood, but not when you see the shadow of the silicone in a straight line!

fair enough. curiuos to see how it looks.

:thup: well done very nice set up Henward!

looked like you taken over the whole garage.. :happy1:

but hey what up with those level feet fitting? I reckon that is another problem you might have to dealt with in the long run..

garage floor should be level any way..

:thup: well done very nice set up Henward!

looked like you taken over the whole garage.. :happy1:

but hey what up with those level feet fitting? I reckon that is another problem you might have to dealt with in the long run..

garage floor should be level any way..

No, garage floor is not even at all, even a skilled concrete layer cant level the concrete properly.

with my 5 foot, I use bits of metal to shim, but with the 12 legs, you cant do that, so the feet is designed so you level out the 4 corners and then bring down the rest so they are all level, very effective.

on my sump frame, I have just found that one corner raises almost 1cm from the other! that's how uneven the floors can be.

that's why my old sump cracked on the floor