Henward's Tank build: 1700Litres - Completed

henward

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time is nearing.

16th may, i commence to fill over 3 days.

i have set up the bio media, sump configuration, ready to 'plug and play' :slfg:

The sump is what i had before, (from left to right)

socks are lowered to make room for the manifold to distribute water onto the socks.

20130425_140733_zpsc1ccf65c.jpg

there are 4 chambers.

1) chamber under socks - ceramic bio media, high flow chamber with noodles

2) chamber after socks - 50Litres K1 media, will be a moving media chamber, High Flow

3) Return PUmp Chamber - 3x pump (1x for main tank, 1x for 600L grow out, 1x recirculating pump for trickle tower)

4) Trickle tower - this is the one sitting on top of the middle section. THis has bio balls, ceramic noodles and assorted media such as JBL, Eheim, aqua one Media

20130507_202447_zpscec8cafb.jpg

The amount of bio media is way way overkill for the proposed stocking, but i figured that more is better as always.

also, it future proofs it IN CASE - one day i build another big ish tank for a gold Crossback arowana, can just plug and play, Sump can handle another 1000L tank.

the media too, allows bacteria to Lightly populate the media and spread itself out more over the whole sump set up.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!

Well done! :hail:

I will write that down!

totally agree.

why not - what does over filtering do but good things.

this way, if i swim in the tank and treat it as a pool... and pee in it, its ok!

see!

the effectiveness of K1 - unsure, people swear by it but when i had it running in my inlaws, it didnt brown like it is supposed to, i am assuming that there was not enough waste to substantiate extremely dense and heavy bacterial growth, but thats ok,

spreading the bacteria through out the media is a good thing anyways.

Are you going to have enough space in the sump to hold all the water when the power goes off and the pumps stop? I'm trying to remember how your old set up worked with the auto water changer and seem to recall the sump overflowing if the pumps shut off, or was that the old sump?

Are you going to have enough space in the sump to hold all the water when the power goes off and the pumps stop? I'm trying to remember how your old set up worked with the auto water changer and seem to recall the sump overflowing if the pumps shut off, or was that the old sump?

that was definitely the old sump. yes it did over flow lol

garage though at the time, could not care less bout over flow

but this one has a good drain, also big enough.

the media takes the place of water so its same formula as before and shouldnt flood

the flooding actually comes from the tank itself holding water above the overflow line, hence my focus on keeping the same return pump but increasing surface area drain in the over flow and a bigger drain hold for the over flow (25mm, now 32mm)

the sup itself will not hold as much water due to the media being more, but thats fine.

the sump is going to be a high biological focus, cos i dont wanna spend money on a high output pump (more than what i have now) i focus on putting more media insetead to offset loss of turn over vs biological filtration efficiency.

I'm basing my calculations on about 28L for each cm of water level about he height of the overflow, so I'm thinking with all the plumbing etc I'm going to want at least 90-100L spare space if I don't want to flood the garage when the pump goes off.

Do you have an idea of how many LPH that pump does?

I'm basing my calculations on about 28L for each cm of water level about he height of the overflow, so I'm thinking with all the plumbing etc I'm going to want at least 90-100L spare space if I don't want to flood the garage when the pump goes off.

Do you have an idea of how many LPH that pump does?

I forgot now to be honest, 6k or 8k lph i think.

plus the corner internal box pump is 3500lph zero head height which it is so that will turn it over too, more mechanical though.

but the big pump should suffice, if im finding it too weak, i may upgrade later on.

i dont foresee that though,

finalized your sump designs?

Still tossing up between socks and poret. Socks will provide better mechanical filtration but will [probably] require more cleaning. Poret will last longer between cleans but won't catch as much fine stuff, and is somewhat of an unknown used in the way I want to use it with the turn over I'm planning. I'm leaning towards four 200micron socks with some sort of net pre-filter to catch most of the Panaque sawdust, hopefully that should get me at least a week between cleans.

Still tossing up between socks and poret. Socks will provide better mechanical filtration but will [probably] require more cleaning. Poret will last longer between cleans but won't catch as much fine stuff, and is somewhat of an unknown used in the way I want to use it with the turn over I'm planning. I'm leaning towards four 200micron socks with some sort of net pre-filter to catch most of the Panaque sawdust, hopefully that should get me at least a week between cleans.

I tried and will apply this.

if you get foam, poret say, and cut them in rough circles or squares and put 2 layers in the bottom of each sock, you catch the big bits and the sock lasts longer.

i tried it with filter wool in the sock, and lasts much longer, in fact, i could get away with not washing the socks for 3 times the usual clean cycle.

but wool is disposable so stopped but poret would work too.

if you get foam, poret say, and cut them in rough circles or squares and put 2 layers in the bottom of each sock, you catch the big bits and the sock lasts longer.

Interesting idea, so you pushed them right down inside the sock? Are yours completely above the water level, or partially submerged? You're using 100micron eh?

Interesting idea, so you pushed them right down inside the sock? Are yours completely above the water level, or partially submerged? You're using 100micron eh?

100 micron.

Yeah all the way down or middle.. Don't matter really.

Cos i lowered sock. IIt's half submerged

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

last thursday, wa smy fill day, would fill third third third.

but upon filling, corner on the right was leaking ever so slowly.

had to empty and patch up.

patched both sides on the front so looks uniform and also creats a thicker boirder on the vertical side.

fast forward, filled up completely, everything is running now. 16c starting temp, 21.5c as of this morning.

first few fish intro is thursday.

when i was filling it up, i was having i thought to be sounds of cracks, creaks and explosions.

but turns out that the sump did indeed crack at the base, no doubt the uneven concrete floor.

the leak is tiny, so will hold for now.

but replacing it with a bigger more efficient sump - frame to sit on the floor to make sure the edges of the sump is supported (thanks David R) for your help in advance :bounce:

sufficed to say, i ddidnt get a good sleep last night - nightmares about the tank.

:D

difference is: henwards fish are (is) worth more than the tank...

haha, everyone to their own - not everyone is stupid enough to buy a fish worth that much!

besides, i probably paid a little too much anyways, i probably could have haggled or imported myself:D

20130526_115611_zpsae9d506d.jpg

aro introducd today.

currently stock

red aro

30 cm fem jag

2x parrot

2c sun cat

1x albino sailfin

1x 8cm texas

1x 15 cm midas female

currently , the female jag is queen, aro introcued and they are duking it out in term sof territory.

I hope it doesn't carry on. both have a couple of scratches.

adding more cichlids will distract both fish im sure.

a bit dark

lighting is still to come, 4x led strip lighting.