Henward's Tank build: 1700Litres - Completed

henward

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah

talking o their guys, he mentioned, shims work well with smaller stuff, cos i have 12 feet,

as soon as a side lifts up, couple of legs will too.

and thats when you may get flex

he just said, the feet, you get 4 corners right, then you wind down all the other feet, slide paper under it to ensure its on the ground then lock it.

and make it so its as low as possible into the feet.

each rated at 800kgs, so more than enough for my relatively light tank, water, substrate.

hard to envision the size

even doing a mock up on teh ground

after seeing the width of it lol, decided i can use this wood so this will be my centre piece.

wether i cut the tip off or let it go out through glass with a cutout, ill decide later.

20120811_105807.jpg

yeah lol

true that.

using shims would be difficult as the ground in my garage will not be perfectly even, what ground is?

smaller tanks in the past with 6 legs or 4 legs were easy to level out.

but with so many legs, would be impossible.

so these were a good choice.

the rating of the product is industrial stuff.

pretty strong.

i guess, with glass, water, substrate - say, 2300kgs (light substrate layer)

thats 192kgs per leg.

really thats not much, thats really just 2x men standing on the leg. the leg is very strong!

its funny cos when you break down the weight over 12 legs, it doesnt seem so much at all!

suffice to say, im gonna need A LOT of selleys liquid nail.

is there a liquid nail product that takes longer to dry and cure?

i want one taht takes longer to dry so gives me time to put tank on and let theglue even out more

the cost was $1500plus gst if i recall . something like that.

yeah, the legs are 50x50, where the tank sits 50x50. the supports are 50x25.

quite a heavy thing!

understand what you mean also thought about that, originally was thinking 8 legs. but though, 12 would be better.

the floor is concrete in teh garage.

i guess, comparing it to my old garage, 6 legs, tank volume of 1200L, say 1500 total weight, is 250kgs on each leg.

this is less.

the 5footer i have now is 120 roughly on each leg. i think spread over the 12 legs is totally acceptable.

suppose an suv would have more weight on 4 wheels. albeit spread more than the feet

i guess putting it on and filling it up will tell us:D i think it will be fine.

That is what I would be doing (in fact a whole poured concrete tank!) but wifey isn't too keen on anything that permanent, even though we own the house. Fair enough too, having to remove the fish tank with a jack hammer if we decide to sell wouldn't be fun!

H, Fair point, I guess my old 1400L only had six feet so would have been well over 200kg per foot. Can you send me their contact details? I might get in touch with them about my stand. Did you talk to them about diagonal bracing?

That is what I would be doing (in fact a whole poured concrete tank!) but wifey isn't too keen on anything that permanent, even though we own the house. Fair enough too, having to remove the fish tank with a jack hammer if we decide to sell wouldn't be fun!

H, Fair point, I guess my old 1400L only had six feet so would have been well over 200kg per foot. Can you send me their contact details? I might get in touch with them about my stand. Did you talk to them about diagonal bracing?

a concrete platform would be extremely costly and i think overkill to the point of no point with a tank this small...

albeit you may think its big, but its actually a baby monster tank comparing to actual monster tanks.

David:

rex industrial - ask for Keith, they are in glenfield diana dr.

will powder coat definitely. better option, galvanizing would mean heating it and will change shape. not acceptable.

as for diags. i asked them, and the guy in charge we discussed in length, he said will definitely give it strength.

but he said, in all realness, if there was an earthquake with significant strength, the ground would probably twist and turn.

he said, this stand is pretty strong and tough and earthquakes, even with diags, would probably not hold.

small tremors it should stand up to it.

so i am going on that basis, i dont think diags are needed as its pretty rigid as it is. its heavy duty.

most of our tanks / stands sold in shops are much much weaker.

but up to you how you wanna build it though.

You still have to heat it when it gets powder coated, has to be heated to 180c for 30minutes for the powder to "melt" and coat it. Saying that I never had a problem with steel that size deforming in the oven while it bakes. I would go with a textured powder, something like black ripple.

will powder coat definitely. better option, galvanizing would mean heating it and will change shape. not acceptable.

as for diags. i asked them, and the guy in charge we discussed in length, he said will definitely give it strength.

but he said, in all realness, if there was an earthquake with significant strength, the ground would probably twist and turn.

he said, this stand is pretty strong and tough and earthquakes, even with diags, would probably not hold.

Thats what my engineer friend seems to think too, any shake strong enough to break that much weld to 'pancake' the stand will probably do so much other damage to the house and foundations etc. Might still add some corner gussets to mine...

Hot-dipping the whole stand would be a disaster, but using galvanised steel then painting the welds would work. IIRc Hovmoller got them to galvanise my the stand for my old 800L tank he bought after he had it shortened, so it must be possible...

Google Sketch Up, it's awesome for a free program, just watch a couple of the tutorials to learn how to do things. Didn't ring stand maker, the price from my guy up here is good but probably going to be at least a couple of weeks. How long did yours take?

Google Sketch Up, it's awesome for a free program, just watch a couple of the tutorials to learn how to do things. Didn't ring stand maker, the price from my guy up here is good but probably going to be at least a couple of weeks. How long did yours take?

drawing looks cool!

my stand is taking 2 to 3 weeks too, so its pretty much same.

it was sent to powder coating last week when i put pics up

should be done this week.

but it will probably stay in the workshop cos i dont wanna pay for shipping it, i will pickit up on moving date which is end of month, truck hire place is right by the place. saves me $75