Hi from Manurewa, Auckland

Rouseabout

I am new to tropical fish keeping. We had a small tank for goldfish which we stopped using a couple of years ago. Started it up just after xmas day 2012 for my sons birthday and due to a number of issues and opportunities (to spend all my money) now have three tanks as follows;

AR126 22L - the original tank - in my Son's room

6 Rummy-noseTetras

1 Albino Cory

1 Golden Algae eater

1 Flying Fox

have had some issues cycling this tank - once it settles down just want to add one Betta (lost the one we originally had in here due to water quality issues). Have a large ornament plus a few plants.

Blue Planet Hexy 21.6L - in my Daughters room

6 Neon Tetras

1 Betta

1 Bristlenose Pleco

1 Chinese Algae Eater

1 Flying Fox

Cycling reasonably well and no plans to add any further fish. Have a small ornament plus a few plants.

Blue Planet Kingdom 100L - in the lounge

5 Silvertip Tetras (these are leaving soon)

2 Keyhole Cichlids

2 Geophagus Surinamensis

2 Veiltail Rams

1 Bristlenose Pleco

1 Flying Fox

Cycling very well - looking for a few additional fish, particularly in the upper water area and open to ideas. The various cichlids all appear to get on OK. There are rock ornaments with holes plus plants for refuge if they feel the need.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

1st thing you need to know is all of your tanks are grossly overstocked with fish that are not suitable for the size of them. 1st 2 tanks you need to remove the bristlenoses and flying foxes and the chinese algae eater, the latter 2 should be kept in tanks 200ltr+.

The geos really need a much much much larger tank than 100ltrs and if you continue to keep them in there you will be stunting their growth and causing them significant harm.

Sorry if this sounds bad to you but you should have really done a bit of research on the type of fish you have purchased before you got them.

Hi and welcome. :wave:

I also agree with Godly3vil, if those tanks are still cycling you are way overstocked and some of the species are unsuitable for such small aquariums.

Thanks for all the feedback. Agree in hindsight I should have done more research but at same time very disappointed with the quality of advice provided by what appeared to be reputable commercial suppliers - its not like i walked into any store and lied about the size of my tanks or my level of knowledge. Enough on that now.

Other than this website are there any others you would recommend?

Before anyone panics about the fish stocking levels i would just say that currently all the specimens that will outgrow their surroundings are currently very small so i have a little time to make arrangements. I have also now realised that all the years I spent studying biology and chemistry will finally have a use in the real world - it's taken a while.

If I do have cycling issues then stocking levels will be right at the top of the list of remedies. The AR126 cycling issues I mentioned originally had been happening for some time and when there were fewer fish in that tank.

Good to know also that there is a forum on this site for advertising fish available - you may see me posting there too.

Hi and welcome. :wave:

I also agree with Godly3vil, if those tanks are still cycling you are way overstocked and some of the species are unsuitable for such small aquariums.

Yep still cycling - the Geos are gone from the 100 litre - clearly was given bad advice there but otherwise all finethanks :happy2: :

• 3 weeks later...