Dragon fighter tail going manky

Retzy88

Hi everyone. I have an ongoing issue where my dragon fighters tails keep going manky. Looks like I've put gel on the tail and turned it to dreadlocks. I feel it looks like all the tail is still there just clumped together. It's only the male that has issues with his tail. Two other females in the tank seem fine. I've tested the water and its fine. Does anyone know what could be the issue? I've tried adding salts and Melafix but these don't seem to help. This is the 3rd dragon fighter I've had that has now gone this way.

Would appreciate any ideas or advice.

Thanks

how big is the tank if its holding 1 male and 2 females???

or are they seperated??

Its a Fluval Chi tank approx 20ltrs. It is housing 2 females and 1 male altogether. No separations.

I have learned that I should increase the water temp to approx 26-30 degrees c which I have now done. i am also trying to feed them more than just tropical flakes. Bloodworms and brine shrimp have been added.

Heres hoping it makes a difference

20ltrs isn't enough for 3 fighters man, you should separate at least one of the females, he is probably getting bitten by one of them.

Also it is hard to keep a tank that small in perfect water conditions which could be contributing to your finrot type of disease, when something goes wrong in a small tank it goes wrong fast and you probably wouldn't notice it till it's too late.

Hmmm ok. Ill try that. They have been getting along fine. Ive had all 3 in the same tank for about a month and had no dramas.

Ive just done a 70% water change and kept the temp high.

Ill separate the females out and see if that makes a difference.

Thank

Its been topped back with 28 degree water. This is the 1st fighter ive had with females. The previous 2 were just solitary fish. One lasted about 18 months and the second only lasted 3 months

Have separated the females and left him alone

Fingers crossed

Hi

18 months is a good time for a domestic fighter. 3 months is not. Experience has taught me that fighters with the long tails do not handle trickle filters well as the constant movement of the water tires them out and they often end up, particularly at night resting with their tails against the intake. This could be the reason it is being damaged.

Can you post a pic of it?

Fighters can cope with temps of 22 up to 30, 28 is optimum breeding temp. 25-26 is a good temperature to hold the tank at for normal display.

I have the temp at 28 degrees at the moment. It was at 25 leading up to the fin clamping.

Here is a pic. sorry about the quality, bad lighting.

20t4isz.jpg

In regards to water movement, its all the standard kit that comes in the box, all ive added is the heater and the small bubble stone. Perhaps this is causing more movement than required for this little guy??

Thoughts

what are your tank readings - ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and pH (pH to a lesser extent). I know you have said above they are fine but what is fine? :D

That is not damage caused by a filter or water movement. How much salt did you add and how long for, how much melafix and how long for? Have you tried anything else now or with the other ones?

what are your tank readings - ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and pH (pH to a lesser extent). I know you have said above they are fine but what is fine? :D

That is not damage caused by a filter or water movement. How much salt did you add and how long for, how much melafix and how long for? Have you tried anything else now or with the other ones?

Hi, I only added the salt and Melafix once. I added approx half a teaspoon of both to the tank once id completed the 70% water change. I did make sure the water temp was back at 28 degrees before adding to the 30%.

ammonia: dont have a test kit for that, but its vacuumed cleaned every second day.

nitrite: approx 0.5

nitrate: pretty much 0

PH: about 6.5 - 7.0

I came home from work today to find him sitting on the bottom of his tank and looked to be breathing hard. I thought id try him in another tank and when I grab him with the net, he took off at a million miles an hour. I finally caught him and moved him into one of my community tanks but placed him in a breeding tray. for the last hour or so ive been watching him and he appears to be breathing much better. little swims from time to time. Perhaps the Fluval Chi tank is too small and not giving him the room he needs??

Sorry to cause a headache here, just want to learn what to do for the better interests for my fish :-)

Appreciate all input

Ask away as much as you like. That is what the forum is for - oh and for giving advice lol.

Okay, your nitrite is too high, should be at 0. Possibly you have some ammonia as well. Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? Ammonia and nitrite will burn fins, tails and gills of fish, sometimes the damage is permanent and irreversible.

In a tank that size the male will be stressed and also will be stressing the females. You would be better with either a bigger tank with plenty of plants if you want to keep them together or keep them apart.

Can he stay in the tank he is now? If so add melafix to that tank, it is a 7 day dose cycle so keep dosing for 7 days and see if the tail repairs itself.