Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nano Local Marine Setup

Featured Replies

Hey Everyone

I need some advice.

I have a 55L tank that I once had set up as a tropical marine but I shut that down awhile ago.

I want to re-set it up but this time want to do a local marine tank probbly things found in rock pools.

I want to know, is cycling the tank the same for a local as it is for a tropical?

Do I use coral rock or do I use stone and a set up?

Is a skimmer still essential?

HELP!!

Cheers

I had a successful 21Ltr local marine (mudflat) tank,

the 2 key points I found helped was using live sand, and you need to get to the black stuff underneath, its full of de-nitrifying bacteria.

tip 2 is choose your species for hardiness. triplefins and gobies are awesome, most of your common shrimp species are good too

I ended up shutting it down as this summer (new house) I wasn't able to keep it as cold as before and was starting to lose the cockles in it.

I Cycled for a month with just the live sand, then added some sand gobies, then a couple of weeks later some rocks (with associated livestock)

the shrimp were a whim about a month later and did well.

  • Author

Did you have any problems getting them to eat food?

Did you just use coral rock or did you grab some rock from the rock pools?

the 2 key points I found helped was using live sand, and you need to get to the black stuff underneath, its full of de-nitrifying bacteria.

Where I am based is all black sand do I just have to go a bit deeper to get what you are meaning?

Also where is a good place around the Wellington/Kapiti area to get different livestock?

Theres alot out Puk Bay, but make sure to go past Wairaka rock(The big rock you can see on the tip of the peninsula), as its mostly a marine resvere, and the locals will scold you for taking anything from the pools close to the parking area

Or if your keen on a drive, Makara is also good.

There are lots of star fish, anenomes, Shrimp, various rock pool fish, limpets etc.

Last local i had setup i took a bucket and collected the livestock, then grabbed rocks and dead coral/pumice from the water, some of the anenomes were easier to just grab a rock of them as you dont want to damage the foot.

and then got sand and water from waikanae beach as it was closer and no restrictions on collection.

DONT get the crabs unless you plan on feeding everything else to them, althought the hermit crabs are alright and you might see some of the camo crabs. remember no undersize Paua.

when i was there last there was 2 baby dolphins in between the rocks which came for a pat.

Dont quote me on it, but im 99% sure there isn't. short google shows its algood, just the usual size restrictions on paua, and any other size restricated fish/shellfish.

Below is the link to central area, which shows the paekak-puk bay restricted area.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreatio ... efault.htm

might have to be weekend unless you got thursday friday off, unless your gonna wait a bit. weather not looking too great atm, was hoping to get out by kapiti for a fish on wednesday morning.

make sure to get some good photos, its an awesome area, went diving there a few weeks ago, and the under water life is amazing, some of those 11 legged sea stars, and nice rock pools to explore, take some crocks lol.

  • Author

What do you go diving for out there?

Yea havent dug my tank out of storage yet so will still be a couple weeks.

I will make sure to take my Canon 600D out there to take some good pictures and records of the trip

was my first time diving, not scuba though.

Alot of fun, went by sunken rock a 10-15 minute walk from parking, but felt longer with the weights and other equipment.

Went for some paua, managed to get a doz or so between us, and got some Blue Moki nice big one, decent butter fish and something else, small(too small) kingfish in the open too. the fish was a bonus, the real reward was seeing how serene it is under the water when theres waves crashing above.

i was able to get to about 8-9M depth while my mate could go down to 15. and visibility was about 10M.

lots of corals and seaweed to pick from as well to give it a nice natural rock pool feel.

Would be awesome to see some decent pics, i only got my IPhone, which isn't the worst but still not that great.

  • Author

Well next time you are heading that way you should hit me up as would be good to go out to somewhere like that who one knows the area a bit and two knows the good things for a tank

My number is 021887290.

Got to love that Paua ae, many decent size ones out there?

all legal lol, so yeah, tastes great on the BBQ.

did have a few that im sure were just legal in the water, but had to chuck em back once i got out of the water.

will hit you up if i do, but extremely busy atm sorting the house and life in general(Almost had to get rid of the tanks....ALMOST lol). Usually try to get the boat out early morn or go for a night fish as to not take up my day.

  • Author

I love going out fishing on the boat. Never get to go out anymore :( need someone who will take me out so if you have room I'm always keen.

What is legal size for Paua around the region?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.