paratya curvirostris freshwater shrimp

tandemcartshrimp

I have the tank set up, with some drift wood a couple of stones and a load of java moss. I am just now waiting for some dwarf hair grass to plant for a difference. can dwarf hair grass be planted in just the gravel you get with most tanks, or in a hold in one of the pieces of driftwood?

also, how do I know when there is a decent enough nitrogen cycle,is there anything to look for?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my tank set up, with some Java moss and some dwarf hair grass. 2 pieces of drift wood and a couple of slate like pieces of stone.

the filter was used in a previous tank, and i was advised to keep it as it would have the proper bacteria already existing. Its a 3 stage filter, with small plastic balls then wool and something inside it then little hollow clay pellet things. however now the water is tinted a browny green. only very light and not cloudy. would doing a black out for a couple of days help? also, I will be going to tga soon. anyone know where I can find the shrimp there? I only want like 5-10 of them so I wont be stressing the stream for them at all.

or maybe PM me maybe if you have some you would be willing to ship to me? I would be more than happy to pay for your time and postage

spoke too soon. added 3 x juvenile texas (carpintis) cichlids yesterday afternoon. checked on shrimp this avo and numbers seem to have declined... coincidentally, the 3 amigos have big bellys... lol

but let it be known that i was successful in keeping native wild caught shrimp in an unheated planted tank for around 5-6 weeks through summer, with zero pink shrimp carcasses ever seen.

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

Im new here and I hope im in the right place.

Im new to fish (apart from the normal gold fish for a year many moons ago) and im looking into getting some freshwater shrimp.

As far as I can see the paratya curvirostris is the only one I can get. But after research I have found that you can buy them anywhere.

so ill need to go shrimp hunting. I live in Hamilton and can get a ride up or down the country about an hour all round hamilton.

does anyone have any extra they wouldnt mind sending my way. I would be more than happy to pay postage and time etc.

OR does anyone know where I could go to catch some of my own??

thanks HEAPS in advance, fingers crossed im in the right place to post this.

Im also in hamilton and actualy caught my first one today, he is in my gold fish/minow tank and looks happy, all i did was stuff a $2 shop fish net in the weeds in the water and drag it through them and bam i had me a shrimp but took a wee while to finaly get one but i think my spot wasnt the best but id say go to the place where they do kayaking bcoz ive seen heaps and heaps of oxygen weed around there and not to mention if you swipe your net towards the flow of the water i reckon it will sort of over power them from trying to swim out of your net but send me a pm if you wanna know where i got mine today.