converting plants from emmersed to submersed

Sophia

Can you buy a plant that has been emmersed and then plant it only half under the water? I've been trying to get hold of a pond plant or 2 and I wonder if I could buy some lysmachia that is clearly all under the water, and then plant it so the bottom half is in a pot under the water and with the top sticking out in the sunshine?

I want to plant something in my bugtopia pond that comes out of the water and creates a bit of interest and shade. At the moment I have 2 fake lily pads that take up less than a quarter of the surface area, some duckweed that is struggling in the sunlight and long term I wouldn't keep it, a few strands of oxygen weed under the water, and some stargrass that isn't doing much yet. It gets blanket weed so I'm wanting to cover more of the surface.

trough001.jpg

Can you buy a plant that has been emmersed and then plant it only half under the water?

Can you buy a plant that has been grown emersed and then plant it emersed? Yes, yes you can. Buying a plant that's grown submersed and then planting it emersed is a little more difficult but as long as they're kept damp and a type of plant that can do it, it should manage to convert itself to an emersed form.

I must have it the wrong way round. I thought submersed was completely under water and emmersed was only part way. :oops:

You have answered my question anyway :)

Yes, submersed is completely under water, emersed is only partly. You have that right, but then your question has it wrong. :)

bah you're right :phb:

I thought I could get some lysmachia from the shop but I think that the top half will crumple in the bright sunlight and die off. I've found some hydrocotyle on TM and various weeds in a nearby stormwater creek so I may pillage some of that instead. Don't think I want hygrophilia as it gets too big.

Lysa is better kept as a marginal plant anyways, plant it near the surface and it will spread and droop down into the water, plant it above the water and you have a lovely carpeting plant, that droops into the water, likes a well drained but damp soil

does well planted into river gravel that is permanently damp/wet 1cm under the surface

rad! um... can i borrow your husband for a bit?

it's not the done thing to lend a husband to another male... you will lose credits with your own missus :dnc1:

Lysa is better kept as a marginal plant anyways, plant it near the surface and it will spread and droop down into the water, plant it above the water and you have a lovely carpeting plant, that droops into the water, likes a well drained but damp soil

does well planted into river gravel that is permanently damp/wet 1cm under the surface

I thought I'd get a bit of wire and screw it to the top edge, sit the pot inside so it's bottom is in the water.

sort of like this but much more DIY UNLESS I ask my husband if I can borrow his drill, in which case he would rather do it himself properly than look at my efforts. :sage: hanging_flower_pot_holder_LMPR_4101_.jpg

Most plants that are sold in the shops have been grown emersed. If you get them as soon as a plant order of cuttings comes into the shop you will make life easy. If you leave it for a few days the top of the plant will have started to convert to submersed growth and will die off if you plant it emersed. If you put the cuttings in a glass of water on the window ledge until you get it growing roots it will prevent the bottom from rotting off and will give it a head start.