4 foot build

Ethan.L

Hi all, thought I would share with you all my new build.

I'm still at university so this is a relatively budget build.

I purchased the tank, (thanks Rabid) last Sunday. It's a 122cm*30.9cm*39.5cm, 140L, so is pretty long and narrow, but it should do nicely.

DSCF1086_zps39445765.jpg

Also picked up a Jebo 819 canister filter and 300W heater, (thanks cichlid keeper)

Wanted to build a stand for the tank, so started out by purchasing all the wood. 4 rails of 75mm x 50mm. I got Mitre Ten to cut the wood for me, which they did for free.

DSCF1087_zpsc9eb79cb.jpg

Here is a picture of the mock up frames with the uprights. Please excuse the mess.

DSCF1090_zps72c23cf1.jpg

Top frame built.

DSCF1091_zpsec5b2dc2.jpg

Base and uprights going in. Person in picture is my good mate who is helping me out, especially since this morning I tore a muscle in my shoulder, rendering my arm close to useless.

DSCF1092_zpsb400cc7c.jpg

Stand and tank.

My friend in picture is a roofer, who managed to source me a bunch of blue colour steel roofing sheets (corrugated sheets). Will be cladding the outside with that, along with making some doors and a edging the goes along the top and slightly up the base to cover the mdf, poly and not so nice silicone job on the tank.

Will post more on when I get the rest of the stand built.

I will also be looking at building a set of LED strip lighting for the tank in the future, so if you are interested in that I can post some info on there too.

It looks good however, in the absence of any real knowledge about the strength of stands, seeing as you are in ChCh I am wondering if there should be a little more bracing to stop any side to side sway ie angled bracing on the longer sides.

Yes, I would be interested in how you do your lighting :thup:

It looks good however, in the absence of any real knowledge about the strength of stands, seeing as you are in ChCh I am wondering if there should be a little more bracing to stop any side to side sway ie angled bracing on the longer sides.

Yes, I would be interested in how you do your lighting :thup:

+1, looks tough, but a diagonal brace even just on the back would make it heaps stronger in the event of side to side movement. Also as the stand is larger than the tank, allow the tank to slide a little before hitting any edging will save you a lot of grief

The stand should be strengthened up significantly once we fix the colour steel to it, that stuff is pretty strong and will be in solid horizontal sheets.

Beer bong, funnel; tomato, tomäto.

Cricket gear is flat mates, bikes which you may be able to just glimpse are mine.

image_zpsffaf951e.jpg

Tank in its current state.

image_zps232d9788.jpg

image_zpsb0e26f14.jpg

Flashings showed up this morning. Will hopefully be able to install them along with the corrugated steel that I have in my garage next week some time. The doors will also be made out of the same materials.

image_zpsd3d519dc.jpg

And one of my cat, felix, on this already hot morning.

• 1 year later...

Wholey thread revival Batman!

So my project got derailed massively and the tank ended up sitting in my flat doing absolutely nothing.

I have now since moved flat and decided on actually getting this thing up and running.

So here are the updates on where I last left off. Sorry for not documenting the whole process with pictures (I get annoyed myself with that), but hopefully these will suffice.

The tank isn't the prettiest, quite a few scratches in it (which hopefully wont turn out too bad when it is filled) but I couldn't stand the ugly half black silicone job on the inside.

13528746165_306180cd6e_b.jpg

13529051754_e6eb27ca5e_h.jpg

I decided to cut out the inside silicone. I initially started out with a razor blade, but found that a butter knife actually worked just as well, and removed the chances of slicing through the silicone I didn't want to remove that holds it together.

I forgot to grab a photo after this process, but I think you can imagine what it looks like without silicone. I cleaned it all up with a dry towel and some turps.

13528978494_11ae5a8eae_b.jpg

13528762073_f653f3e162_b.jpg

So that needs to be left to cure for 7 days. Then I will fill it up and give it a leak test. (God I hope it holds)

Next up is the stand. Previously it was just a wooden frame. I mentioned above that my mate is a roofer and managed to get hold of some coloursteel for me.

Here is what he managed to knock up over a few session. Still some minor things we need to finish off. At the moment it only has some small magnets holding the doors closed, so I might invest in some beefier magnets. May get some door handles for it, and we need to drill it for plumbing and power.

13528813463_8d9759b002_b.jpg

13528717985_5efcae3c65_b.jpg

13528805303_6b6e2ea8a9_b.jpg

13529021644_8cb35df9a4_b.jpg

13528793633_5d23858287_b.jpg

Took a trip to Queenstown earlier in the year and picked up some rocks.

13528783803_b4e81a286f_b.jpg

Also still on the list is lighting. Not sure what to do here, I am a student so the budget is pretty low (i.e. sadly most likely LEDs)

the timber is plenty for vertical but i'd be putting a diagonal brace from bottom left to top right of the "back wall" uprights and diagonally on each end from front to back. Just screw them in, once they are cut t length it will only take a few minutes to fit them.

Better to be safe then sorry.

this is a pic of my tank stand, see the diagonal braces? they made a huge difference to the rigidity and stability of the stand

IMG_4082.jpg