Help with ID

viperguy

Hello all,

Returning to my childhood hobby after a decade and a half away from it, I've decided to look back into it.

Now, on one of my mountain bike rides, it goes past a nice stream in the bush and pretty much every time I go past I would hear the sudden splashing of water as what I assumed was a fish ran for cover (great idea fish, draw attention to yourself).

So anywho after the renewed interest in the subject, decided to grab a net and a bucket and head out after dark to see what all the splashing was about and found these chaps...plenty of them of various sizes, but am struggling to ID them myself as the different natives seem to look quite similar at various stages of growth so was interested in what an expert eye could tell me :)

Also a an eel and some koura in a completely different area I remembered from my childhood, still seems to be strong with the creatures.

20130120_234606.jpg

20130120_234626.jpg

20130121_014033.jpg

20130121_014106.jpg

20130121_014221.jpg

20130121_015909.jpg

20130120_232341.jpg

Many Thanks,

Wyatt

Yep, all banded kokopu. The markings being more obvious at the rear of the body is key here.

They are really great in an aquarium, but do grow quite big and get rather feisty at the 2-3 year mark.

Lovely photos!

Feels good getting back to childhood hobbies. :)

• 5 months later...

That is how they should look.

LOL fi5hguy!

Not sure where you are located (it is really handy to display your location) but if you check out the native aquarium at the te manawa museum in palmy, you will see one of the fattest banded kokopu in the history of kokopu! He was always and aggressive feeder, and can't do much about slimming him down without affecting all the other kokopu.