WCMM in first time Breeding tank, help please

Monzae

I've put my brightest male and my fattest and most active female in a smaller spawning tank, I plan to leave them for 3 days in complete darkness with dense plantation and a sponge filter. Is it safe to put just these two in there or should I get enough to make 5 (more females than males right?) don't know what is best, I don't think the tank is really suitable for more than the two being a 25ish litre, they won't be too lonely?

Yyou could have a few more in a 25 litre tank but if you decide not to they will love being in the mossy tank, and without friends there will be much less eating of the eggs.

try it out and see... they are hardy little fish. Maybe leave them in there for 4 or 5 days to give them time to settle down just in case they do miss the group.

They are pretty hardy fish so I think your current experiment should work pretty well. If you are taking the adults out it might take a week or 2 before you start seeing the fry, they hang out right at the water line and you can see their sparkly eyes. Once they are hatched you are supposed to do frequent small water changes and frequent small feedings but each to his own depending on home routines and all that. Microworms are really good for them, the adults and the fry will eat them. If you can get any other live food then feed that as much as you can.

Thanks, I hope this works well. It's going well so far, I've seen the two disappearing off behind the Java moss even when I just lift the cover for a second, keeping it dark 24/7 for the meantime (less the glass to the right which I don't believe is mirrored on this small tank, allowing them to see the other 9 fishmates they lived with in the adjacent tank). Still not sure if this is coincidence as they may both be females or something. I tried in the past to chop up a live mealworm to feed to my fish but that didn't work well (Mealworm are goo right through the body so cutting them just leaks all the goo and leaves what looks like a shedding.) still putting a little Liquifry in and feeding a mixture of flake containing Brine shrimp, well we'll see the rsults in a few days and I'll let you know what happens.

lol, my breeding method for WCMM, find a 2000L stainless steel pond thats been full and forgotten about for 5 years, add 3M and 5F WCMM (and 1 gold for kicks) wait, pull out thousand babies.....

babies have a "Klingon" stage where they stick to the side of the tank about 2cm below the water surface.

ime as soon as you see this pour in enough infusoria to make it hard to see in the tank, by te time it clears you should have some nice happy free swimming young.

Danio's do the same thing, although I find it easier to breed minnows on a bare bottom tank in a net with marbles in it and a pinch of javamoss (only a small amount, its not for the eggs, its for the female to drop her eggs.)

next day look at the base of the tank and you should see eggs.

works better with about 5 females and 2 males.

oh and the net needs to be as large as possible without releasing adults, and covered as well..

WCMM will breed on their own quite easily but *usually* if you make an effort to move the adults out then more of the eggs and fry survive. If the plants and moss are really dense then you wouldn't need to do that so much.

There definitely needs to be some sort of moss or plants for them to spawn in, I don't consider that to be special treatment.

• 11 months later...

Snails are not a problem dude - just make sure you have moss and driftwood to leach tannins - feed microworms or/and bbs - parents will consume these and readily breed and small fish can feed on this food too, they are heavy egg scatterers so once you have them conditioned it wont matter if snails or other tank mates eat a few eggs.

Here is a crappy video of my WCMM breeding tank, hundreds of babys non stop - feeding on bbs.

Biggest issue with bbs and egg scatterers is hydra! I've found putting a small mollie in the tank has helped deal to that, im told gourami work well too. I have heaps of moss and some brazilian pennywort and other slow growing plant in their like anubias and java.

The babies look a lot like neons.