3 Tanks... what to do?

Vinnie

So trying to work out what I want to do, and what to put where. I thought I would ask for other people's thoughts

What I have that I would like to put in the same tank if possible is:

1x fire eel at 10cm

4x port hoplo cats

12x tiger plec's all about 5cm

2x green phantom plec's about 5cm

What could I keep with them? more to the point, what can I keep that won't eat or be eaten by the fire eel that would be an awesome fish?

The tank will be a bog wood setup and possibly heavily planted before anything is put in there.

The 3 tanks to chose from is-

2000 x 650 x 700mm (850L) with 100 liter sump, but if used for freshwater with have a 200L sump used instead

1200 x 700 x 700mm (500L) with 200 liter sump

1200 x 500 x 520mm (266L) with 1 or 2 jebo 819 canister filters

I can't make up my mind which tank to use for what, but one is going to be planted with the eel, one is going to be a saltwater, and the last one is going from study to the fishroom once I get round to building it

I was thinking of maybe a Borneo tiger or 2 for the eel tank but don't know.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

(edited bad grammar at start lol)

• 2 months later...

You'll want the big tank for the eel IMO. As others have said, anything the eel can't eat should work, I've kept them with all sorts from big dats, CA cichlids, arowana etc to angels etc. Try get it hand-feeding on something like shrimp and you'll have no trouble with more boisterous tankmates stealing the food.

I'm going to keep the fire eel in the 500L with just a few other fish once I set everything back up.

in early march this setup I was working on - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62398 I had a complete mis hap with some fish I got off trademe and lost all most all of my fish.

a part from a few still in holding tanks for other setups.

So I'm looking at for the 500L (upgrading later)

Fire eel

4 port hoplo cats

1 Royal plec

as for substrate I have a good amount of black sand from the big tank to use to make a good thick layer for him

id go bigger, biggest if possible.

nothing like a bogwood set up with plecs coming out of some random hiding spot as you feed, looks awesome.

That was the original idea with the 850L.... lost a lot of plec's :cry1: ... so that tank is going to become a saltwater. Once I get re motivated to finish building the fishroom, that where the 500L will get upgraded to something bigger, and they will move out there where I have more room for a better setup