Sunshine or Tigers?

kithrup

Hi.

I've recently set up a 450l planted tank with a large piece of driftwood. For stocking I'm hoping to include around 10 sterbai corys, 6 discus, 12 hatchetfish, 30 odd tetra's (probably rummynosed). I'd also like a nice bottom dweller but don't have much experience with these. I fancy a sunshine pleco (L014) but am not sure if the size would be out of proportion to the other fish and whether they would nail the plants - although they are said to be mostly carnivorous. I also saw on another thread about adding a group of tiger plecos (L002?). I had one of these about 15 years ago and remember seeing it about once a month but it was a real treat when it did show itself.

I'd really appreciate any advice re. stocking etc... - also should I give the tank a few months to mature before adding pleco's?

Current water conditions are: pH. 7.4, NO2 and NH3 both 0, NO3 10 using an API test kit. Temp is at 28C. Water softness not tested but presumably soft given it's Christchurch tap water going in. I have 9 Sterbai already in there for 10 days or so and they are spawning like mad so may have a few more.

Thanks for the speedy reply. What's a sensible number of tigers? I'm assuming they are not inexpensive as well? Anyone breeding them locally?

I'm not concerned about the pH at this point as will not be getting wild discus. Anyone out there with sunshines?

I keep 6 in my 450ltr. They didn't cost me much but I bought mine from another member off here, they aren't available that often privately I think. Petshops charge between $40-120 each from what I hear.

As for sunshines I am not sure how hard they are to buy but I think they would outgrow a 450ltr pretty fast and would end up destroying your planted tank just by moving around - someone who has kept them might be able to contradict me though. Also are they able to be kept in the same temperature as discus?, planetcatfish should be able to tell you.

Temp is fine for sunshines according to Planetcatfish. They also say plants are fine but there's conflicting reports on other sites. Organism had one in the other week for 200ish which would comfortably be the most I've paid for a fish, but I don't want to blow that much on a fish that's not going to work in the short (plants) or long-term (size) - stunning fish though. I'm beginning to warm to the idea of tigers though. I'm assuming they need plenty of small cave areas rather than one large communal one?