Advice on what to buy for a discus tank

willow123

So i have had many tanks before and have a few regular freshwater ones dotted around the house for years.

I have always quite fancied a Discus tank and in the next few months or so going to see if i can set something up as my main tank and upgrade.

so really the question is what would you guys recommend litre wise? presume around 200ish??

I see i few corner ones around. Would one of those be okay or would they prefer a long one? for around 4 or 5?

I will start with youngsters.

I know i am going to need a good filter system eg external.

And i have heard that they dont like fast flowing water?

I know that they need lots of love and care and i am prepared to put the work in to make them happy.

Thats why I thought I would ask the peeps in the know before i go purchasing a tank and making a big mistake.

Any tips guys?

Thanks

Thanks in advance

500 - 600cm deep, 50 litres per adult discus if you can do it. They like a lot of water over their heads and swim in the middle water column. Discus can be aggressive and therefore a group of 6 or more is best, 4 an absolute minimum. Pristine tank conditions will keep them healthy and good quality feed. Bare bottom tanks are popular for keeping them although they look great in a planted tank. Regular water changes are essential 2-3 times, 30-50%a week and when really small total water changes each day are required. If you have never kept them before I would recommend getting discus of at least 7cm size.

do you mean to change 100% of the water every day?

If you are buying small discus test. Some of the ones for sale on tm of late are too small and will require this sort of care and attention.

Discus do like pristine water conditions hence the reason that most are kept in bare bottom tanks so anything on the bottom of the tank can be sucked up by a water vac. Smaller discus are also a lot more susceptible to flukes etc. If you get them bigger they are a lot easier to look after ime.

If you are buying small discus test. Some of the ones for sale on tm of late are too small and will require this sort of care and attention.

Discus do like pristine water conditions hence the reason that most are kept in bare bottom tanks so anything on the bottom of the tank can be sucked up by a water vac. Smaller discus are also a lot more susceptible to flukes etc. If you get them bigger they are a lot easier to look after ime.

Thanks for all the tips. They are most helpfull. I am really glad i asked.

I am usually pretty good at my water changes at the mo and do realize that i would really need to up my game with the discus.

I did see a few of the ones for sale and did think that I would have to keep to the same level of care to keep them alive and healthy.

It seems that 7cm is a good size for a starter fish in most peoples opinion. i will def try and do that.

And 50 litres per fish too.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Keep it coming :D