enclosure for Beardie hatchling

ZombieFish

Im just starting to think about getting a Beardie hatchling - and am going around in circles trying to work out if I'm able to house one in an old tank as he is growing? its about 900wx400wx490H? there seems to be so much conflicting into out there!

my plan is to build a long low enclosure - but so save building it and having it sit 6 months till i can afford a hatchling, will one be ok in the old tank for a few months?

are they ok outside in Auckland - fully enclosed on a fairly shelteredish deck, with lots of daytime sun + lamps and heat mats? - or for at least the summer? I'm assuming running costs would just be hither outside.

other option is to have a long enclosure on my bench - how skittish are they? id like to have it double sided so i can see it from both sides, would this really be too much stress?

The problem with aquariums is that they are built for fish. You need and enclosure that is ventilated, has good UV and is a good size. I keep babies in glass reptile enclosures with ceramic heaters on thermostats and UV lights, use astro turf as base and nothing for them to play king of the castle on and this way they end up intact if you feed them well. You can have driftwood for them to bask on if you only have one. Natural sunlight is best but not through glass. I use sand as a base on adults as it is easier to clean up droppings. My adults are in a 1600x600x600 enclosure made of timber.

actually - would housing near the kitchen would be gross full stop with the selmonela factor?

the reptile would have to have salmonella for it to be a factor

with reptiles or indeed any animal good hygiene standards should be followed

wash hands after handling

are those reptile one tubes enough for UV? it has a hood with lights so was going to use on in there - or i could leave hood off, and get clip on lights - so there is air circulation (if clip ons are are available? or i could use standard fitting UV bulb and put it in a desk lamp) and a heat pad.

would a tank that size with lid off be ok short term though? it would then probably go into one 1600Lx600X600 - so it won't be in there for an extended period - maybe 4 monthsish? tank that side would fit where m looking at putting it.

As above. The enclosure needs to be dry. If the beardies need moisture I put the young ones in a seperate plastic container and spray them with warm water. This gets them moist but keeps the enclosure dry. When older I give them a bath in warm water in the laundry tub when the boss is not looking.