Post your holiday foody treats here!

Sophia

Caryl, can you send me the recipe for banoffee cupcakes?

Mcrudd, I spied a milk tert.. what are the other 2 puds?

LA - I trust you didn't eat any of this pavlova since you were avoiding treats? :sml1:

Our pavlova was finished for pudding tonight. I think tomorrow will be good old brandy snaps before the cream goes off.

Here is the recipe in case anyone else wants to try them...

BANOFFEE CUPCAKES (it says it makes 24 – 30 but I got 36 and when I halved the recipe - 23)

3 ½ C flour

2 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

250g unsalted butter, softened (but not melted)

3 C caster sugar (I only use 2C as I find American recipes way too sweet!)

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla essence

1 C buttermilk (or yoghurt works fine. The last batch I used vanilla yoghurt and the texture was wonderful)

2 C mashed overripe bananas (4 - 5 bananas)

Preheat oven to 170°C.

Line two 12 hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.

Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon in bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat butter till fluffy for 1-2 minutes.

Add the caster sugar, a third at a time, beating for 2 minutes after each addition.

After the last addition, beat until the mixture is light & fluffy & the sugar has almost dissolved. Beating the heck out of the butter & sugar makes for a light & moist cupcake.

Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, or until mixture is light & fluffy. Add the vanilla & beat until combined.

Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture & beat on low speed until just combined.

Add ½ the buttermilk & ½ the mashed banana & beat until combined.

Repeat this process.

Add the remaining ⅓ of flour mixture & beat until thoroughly combined; do not over-beat as this will toughen the mixture.

Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling each 3/4 full.

Bake 15 minutes, then rotate the trays back to front & top to bottom. Bake another 5 minutes or until a fine skewer/toothpick inserted comes out clean & the tops spring back when poked.

Remove the cupcakes from the trays right away & cool on a wire rack until completely cool.

Note: You can make these cupcakes in advance & freeze them. Just wrap them in 2's in glad wrap/ziplock bags & freeze when they are still a bit warm - this keeps them moist. Take them out of the freezer around a hour before you need to assemble the cupcakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting - makes enough for 24 cupcakes

125 g unsalted softened butter

400g cream cheese softened

1 ½ tsp vanilla essence

4 - 6 C icing sugar

Beat butter for 1-2 mins till light & fluffy.

Add the cream cheese & beat well.

Add 2 cups of the icing sugar, ¼ C at a time & beat for 1 minute till combined.

Add vanilla essence, beat well.

Add rest of the icing sugar ¼ C at a time until desired consistency (should be able to form soft droopy peaks but not be too oozy). I usually only use about 4 C of icing sugar.

Assemble by cutting cone shape out of cupcake. Spoon toffee (from recipe below) into hole then smooth so it is level with top of cake. Ice with frosting and sprinkle with grated chocolate.

DULCE DE LECHE (caramelised condensed milk)

2 cans sweetened condensed milk

Take wrappers off can.

Put cans in large pot & cover with water (double the height of the can so it doesn’t run out)

Bring to the boil & boil 3 ½ hours, ensuring cans remain covered. (I found 3 hours plenty and could possibly have done it for still a bit less)

The longer they cook the more caramelised the toffee & more solid it gets.

Leave to cool in pot.

Stores for ages if you cover well so it doesn't go sugary.

This tastes more toffee & less condensed milky than the bought stuff, which tastes like caramel flavoured condensed milk, not toffee.

The actual original recipe came from the following link

http://www.bakingequalslove.com/2010/06 ... leche.html which has pics.