power outage

nudge

Just been informed that our power is gonna be off for 3 or so hrs next wed. I 'm guessing everything should be ok with my tank. How long do they benefical bacteria stay alive for in my filters without the filters being on? anything i should be concerned about? i have 24 troph juvies arriving on tues so they will be in the tank with 6 juvie calvus which have just been added as well.

What kind of filters do you have? I'd give them a good clean out (with tank water) before the power outage as dirty filters will quickly turn into ammonia factories if left full of crap with no water moving thru them. Don't feed the day before and do a water change so the water is clean, should be fine unless you're massively overstocked.

What part of town are you in? I haven't heard anything about it!

What kind of filters do you have? I'd give them a good clean out (with tank water) before the power outage as dirty filters will quickly turn into ammonia factories if left full of crap with no water moving thru them. Don't feed the day before and do a water change so the water is clean, should be fine unless you're massively overstocked.

What part of town are you in? I haven't heard anything about it!

If they're canister filters, Yeah, a clean beforehand and then I usually give them a quick rinse(More a filter water change) before turning them back on and that's it.

I'm in 2nd ave, think its transformer maintenance, got my dates mixed up its wed the 19th. Tank has a few fish but they are all juvies bar 1 dem. 5 calvus @ 3-4cm and 24 dubs at a similar size. 90g tank with an fx5 and cf1200. I do my wc on mon so i will clean out the filters on the mon. Might do the cf1200 tomo and the fx5 next mon.

i have left my canisters off over night and just turned it back on without any issues.

I used to do the same. No problems having them off for up to 12 hours a few times, a few weeks later left it during a 5ish hour power outage and get up in the morning a couple hours after the power came back on to find 3/4 of the fish dead. Now I unplug the filters after an hour and then give them a quick rinse after the power comes back. No deaths at all yet.

So, were the fish dead before the filter came back on again, or died after?

After. They were perfectly fine when the power came back on something like 2am, I checked everything was running and went back to bed. They were dead when I got up about 5-6am.