API Test Kits expiry?

s3xtcy

Hey all, Ive recently moved from Rotorua to Tauranga, and ever since ive been here (in welcome bay) my pH has been reading as low as my test kit goes (yellow yellow yellow!), I added a heap of coral rock into the filter but it didnt make a difference,

I found out that the pH kit expires, one of the local shops tested the pH for me and it was perfect, so my question is, do all the API tests expire, or is it just a ingredient in the pH one that does?

Ive bought a freshwater master test kit today, but it doesnt come with gh and kh tests, and I want to know if these will still be all good? test kits are about 2 years old.. the new ones have a expiry date of 2017 :o would be a pity to throw out all the old ones, to find only the pH one expires!

Cheers :)

yeah Ill do that with the ammonia, etc, but I dont want to buy another gh and kh if the one i have is fine, by "they" do you mean all of them? I just found it interesting that the new ones are stamped with an expiry of 2017, especially since the old ones aparantly expire after 1 year?

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable.

As for your first question I have to tell you that we do not know if changes will be made.

Test Solutions Shelf Life from bottling date

Wide Range pH Test Solution 3 years

Ammonia Test Solution #1 3 years

Ammonia Test Solution #2 3 years

High Range pH Indicator Solution (m-Cresol Purple) 3 years

Nitrate Test Solution #1 3 years

Nitrate Test Solution #2 3 years

GH Test Solution 3 years

KH Test Solution 4 years

Nitrite Test Solution 4 years

Fresh Water Ammonia Test Solution (Nessler) 5 years

Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution 5 years

High Range pH Indicator Solution (Cresol Red) 5 years

Salt Level Test Solution #1 5 years

Salt Level Test Solution #2 5 years

To determine bottling date check the lot # on the reagent bottle. The last 4 digits are the month and year of bottling.

Example: 33A1201 would = a bottling date of December 2001.

If you have any more questions please contact me.

Karin Berke

Technical Services Representative

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

800-847-0659

This is interesting as a number of years ago our club wanted to know if all pH kits gave the same reading. We handed out film canisters and asked all to attend the next meeting with samples of water, from tank(s) and tap plus any pH tests they had - strips, liquid, whatever brand. We also had a scientifically calibrated commercial pH probe.

The kits ranged from brand new to many years old (and I mean around the 10 year or more mark for a few) and all, except the test strips, gave accurate readings that matched the probe.

I find when you get dodgy pH results, check the test tube first.

it only takes a miniscule amount of contaminant to make your results vary quite a bit.

also a large number of the reagents used in other tests are extremely acid or alkaline (I cant remember what test it was but one of our old ones was almost pure phosphoric acid, strong enough to burn your skin)