Algae is starting to take over =(

Xander393

So I've been battling algae in my planted tank for quite a while now. I'm starting to get deflated and thinking I need to almost start over to get it under control. I've been getting string algae, and have been controlling it with SAT. However last time I got SAT they gave me the pond one and said it was the same. Although it says to use less volume than the tank one, so I'm not sure how much to use.

Here's some photos of the algae that is covering most of my plants. It makes all my plants look hairy.

My tank is 200L. Using two T5 lights and have 4 2L bottles of DIY CO2 going into the tank.

Anything else I can use to combat this algae?

Also, anyone know if I should be using more than 30mL of the pond SAT in my tank?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers

0B933844-580C-4F26-A41C-50F4DEE8D550-330-000000B98B8804A2.jpg

B19AAFAE-B40C-4B49-87FC-B466430EF896-330-000000B995109424.jpg

its a live bacteria solution specifically designed to combat thread algae.

im not sure if the pond SAT is that good for Aquarium algae as pond thread algae and blanket weed is different strain of algae.

but it is harmless to overdose this stuff so give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

I like to do a dose of algaefix then dose of SAT, its better at preventing than killing.

its a live bacteria solution specifically designed to combat thread algae.

im not sure if the pond SAT is that good for Aquarium algae as pond thread algae and blanket weed is different strain of algae.

but it is harmless to overdose this stuff so give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

I like to do a dose of algaefix then dose of SAT, its better at preventing than killing.

Yeah ok. They told me it was the same stuff. I looked online and it looks like it's just more concentrated. If so it's better value than the tank one.

I've just been increasing by 10mL each time I dose.

You're treating the symptoms, not the cause. It's like taking a panadol when you've just had your leg cut off, you really need to address the problem, not the effects.

Have a look at this and figure out exactly what algae you have. After that, you can look at what causes it and change what you're doing. It could be something as simple as too much light or too little CO2.

You're treating the symptoms, not the cause. It's like taking a panadol when you've just had your leg cut off, you really need to address the problem, not the effects.

Have a look at this and figure out exactly what algae you have. After that, you can look at what causes it and change what you're doing. It could be something as simple as too much light or too little CO2.

I've though that perhaps my DIY system isn't cutting it. Would it be ok to dose additionally with excel?

Stick to the recommended dose of excel, it can be nasty to certain fish. The best option would be pressurised CO2.

Can we have some more info on your tank?

Dimensions

Lighting type

How long the lights are on for

What fish you have

Stick to the recommended dose of excel, it can be nasty to certain fish. The best option would be pressurised CO2.

Can we have some more info on your tank?

Dimensions

Lighting type

How long the lights are on for

What fish you have

Tank is 1220x45x45

Have two T5 lights (one plantgro and one lifeglo)

Lights are on for 12 hours

Fish: 20 Neon Tetras, 4 Mollies, 1 Flying fox, 1 Otto and 2 Bristlenose catfish

Yeah I start all my tanks on 8hrs but when I get algae issues I drop it to 6 and they usually disappear. If you don't notice any change after a week then we'll know it's not a lighting issue. It's hard to pick just 6hrs to look at the tank :cry:

Yeah I start all my tanks on 8hrs but when I get algae issues I drop it to 6 and they usually disappear. If you don't notice any change after a week then we'll know it's not a lighting issue. It's hard to pick just 6hrs to look at the tank :cry:

Ok. So if it is a lighting issue will I only ever be able to have lights on for short periods a day?

Also the tank is in a fairly well lit area of the house during the day so this natural light would also have an affect when the lights are off I'm guessing?

That's correct. 8hrs is usually the most lights can be on for without algae issues, a few get away with more. And yes, external light can contribute to algae growth. I close the blinds in the afternoon so the sunlight doesn't hit my tank.

I agree with the above. I'd do the following:

1. Turn off the lights and put some blankets over the tank for three days. Don't be tempted to look in during this time. The fish will be fine.

2. Once the three days are up, go in and rub the algae off the affected plants and remove any leaves that look damaged. Then do a very large water change and suck up all the algae residue. I personally would do close to 90% water change, but do what you feel comfortable with and make sure the replacement water is the same temperature and treated if you have chlorine in your area.

3. Add ferts. I personally would also add something like Flourish Comprehensive at 1ml/40L daily as well as Excel at 5ml/40L once weekly after a 50% water change. Also add some magnesium salts about 1tsp per 100L.

4. Turn the photoperiod down to 6 hours

5. Add more plants if you can.

6. Wait about 2 weeks at which point you should see some big improvement.