Lmsmith's Fluval Edge

lmsmith

This tank is going to house dwarf puffers sometime in the future. I've planted it and am waiting for things to grow.

At the moment I have ramshorn snails in there, and that's it.

Here's the first attempt at aquascaping.

A7Uwk_eCYAAiiTo.jpg

A7UToXvCUAAVPbD.jpg

I rescaped tonight and have spread out the grassy plant, which I've been informed is Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae. I'm hoping it turns into a nice thick ground cover.

A7UvxLhCcAAHNLB.jpg

A7Uve1KCYAAlEIj.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a fluval tiny CO2 system, but I've never used CO2 before. I want fast, awesome growth, but I'm a bit worried that in a mostly sealed tank, it will spell disaster.

I brought some flourish excell today on a whim. Is it any good? Will it help my plants grow?

The fluval edge doesn't have awesome lighting, but I'm planning on getting additional LED lighting for the sides to help growth during the day. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on this tank, but I WOULD like it to look very pretty and get fast growth.

So, basically, I've never really had much of a proper planted tank that took anything more than some plants and a light. I want this to be a bit more than that and to be very solidly planted, so any advice would be great.

I'm thinking of getting a fluval tiny CO2 system, but I've never used CO2 before. I want fast, awesome growth, but I'm a bit worried that in a mostly sealed tank, it will spell disaster.

I've heard only bad things about those units, they're small, expensive to refill and unreliable. How much are you willing to spend on CO2?

The Excel will help, it's a carbon supplement.

I've heard only bad things about those units, they're small, expensive to refill and unreliable. How much are you willing to spend on CO2?

The Excel will help, it's a carbon supplement.

Don't you just buy new tiny bottles for it? How do you deal with CO2 causing pH swings?

My Sodastream CO2 system runs 270g bottles which cost $12 to exchange at Mitre10 Mega or Farmers about once every 3-4weeks. Compare that to the Fluval cartridges which contain either 20g of CO2 for $12 each or 88g of CO2 for $35.60 (going by current price at HFF). Now my tank is 100L whereas yours is 23L so you should go through about 75% less CO2 than I do.

So here's the numbers for the Fluval system:

$200 for the 88g kit which comes with one 88g canister.

To replace this canister it'll cost you $35.60.

By my calculations, you'll use about 67.5g in the same time I use 270g so you'll be paying $35.60 roughly once a month.

And here's the numbers for a soda stream system:

$78.94 + shipping for a regulator.

$40ish for an adaptor.

$20 for the glassware from the same site as regulator.

$20 for a bottle off TM or buy one new (unsure of price) from Mitre10 Mega.

That's running up $160 with refills costing $12 once every 3 months.

Up to you though, the Fluval will be easier to set up initially but the soda stream setup will cost you a lot less to set up and run.

My Sodastream CO2 system runs 270g bottles which cost $12 to exchange at Mitre10 Mega or Farmers about once every 3-4weeks. Compare that to the Fluval cartridges which contain either 20g of CO2 for $12 each or 88g of CO2 for $35.60 (going by current price at HFF). Now my tank is 100L whereas yours is 23L so you should go through about 75% less CO2 than I do.

So here's the numbers for the Fluval system:

$200 for the 88g kit which comes with one 88g canister.

To replace this canister it'll cost you $35.60.

By my calculations, you'll use about 67.5g in the same time I use 270g so you'll be paying $35.60 roughly once a month.

And here's the numbers for a soda stream system:

$78.94 + shipping for a regulator.

$40ish for an adaptor.

$20 for the glassware from the same site as regulator.

$20 for a bottle off TM or buy one new (unsure of price) from Mitre10 Mega.

That's running up $160 with refills costing $12 once every 3 months.

Up to you though, the Fluval will be easier to set up initially but the soda stream setup will cost you a lot less to set up and run.

I was looking at the 20g system which is about $50. Canisters are $20 for 3, so I figure it will work out much cheaper in the short term, and especially since I've a) never used co2 before, and b) don't have anywhere to store the co2 tank and stuff, I think it would work out much better for me. If it were a larger tank, I could definitely see the value in the sodastream system

tbh, if you just upgrade the lights you should do ok with a bit of extra fert dosing, imo a CO2 system with those plants is not really worth it as they will all grow well given decent light and enough food.

What sort of fert dosing? Is the excell stuff ferts?

I figure it will work out much cheaper in the short term

I've given you all the numbers and can guide you through setting up a sodastream unit but at the end of the day, all I can do is advise. Take it or leave it :)

if you just upgrade the lights you should do ok

But the key to a planted tank is balance. Why would anyone upgrade their lights without balancing it with CO2? :-?

I've given you all the numbers and can guide you through setting up a sodastream unit but at the end of the day, all I can do is advise. Take it or leave it :)

Thanks - like I said, nowhere to store it and I'm simply not prepared to spend that kind of setup cost on a small tank

But the key to a planted tank is balance. Why would anyone upgrade their lights without balancing it with CO2? :-?

The lights don't cover the whole tank, so the sides and front don't get direct light. A lights upgrade was on my list anyway

Making CO2 the limiting factor is only going to cause algae issues. With a low light tank such as this, sticking to Excel and low light plants is the cheap option. But if you want a

very solidly planted

aquarium then you'll need a bit more than extra light.

surely that would come under one person's definition of "solidly planted". I have seen stupidly dense planted tanks with nothing more then left over fish food, fish waste and standard in hood lighting at night time, just to see the fish.

I am not saying the extras will not help, but the solidly planted tank dream or picture in lmsmiths head may just be achivable with extra light

the comprehensive should be enough, but maybe a bit of the flourish iron if the ambulia gets a bit small and yellowish.

Perfect, thanks. And I assume I just dose the amount they suggest?

surely that would come under one person's definition of "solidly planted". I have seen stupidly dense planted tanks with nothing more then left over fish food, fish waste and standard in hood lighting at night time, just to see the fish.

I am not saying the extras will not help, but the solidly planted tank dream or picture in lmsmiths head may just be achivable with extra light

I like these sorts of tanks:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourt ... Wasserpest

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourt ... 0&n=beetea

I'm happy to just have a few types of plants, but I definitely need swimming room.

:P its ambulia, shine a torch at it from across the room and it will grow dense

Thanks - so far it's been shooting across rather than up. Any way I can help with that, or will it eventually just start growing up?

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

• 2 weeks later...