hybrids...

disgustipated

Hi all

I am a fist time caller and been listening to your show for years. :D

Personally, when I first began keeping cichlids I thought that all hybrids were arse (hope that word does not set the forum police onto me). Down here in wellington, we have enough problems with poor quailty cichlids swimming around without some clown mixing the bloodlines further. I only get my fry from certain people now or from the pet store when it is claimed to be from imported stock. Besides the people I trust, I always ask for photos of the parents (to determind is the fish actually look like they are supposed to)- no photos, no buy. I actually research each fry group I now buy. This is to ensure I can get as pure 'natural' strain.

Over time my mind has been changing. There are some great looking hybrids that are beginning to turning up. I will probably end up buying a strain or two of these hybrids over the next couple of years, they can really make your tank 'pop'. However, all fry that are produced in my tank will be killed. I will breed my fish only in seperate breeding tanks. This is not possible for me as I only have one tank. That way I would be able ensure that what I am breeding are pure and I am not one of them @%#%$@ that dilutes the strains (natural or hybrid) and then claim them to a pure strain. :sage:

Personally, If I had the time, money, finances, oh and brains I would attempt to breed a green african. Not sure if this is even possible and is simply a whim of fancy but would love to have a neon green african.

has anybody else deliberately created hybrids in the past? how did they turn out?

In the past 3 years i have read afews things about hybrids..in my person thought i do love seeing creation of hybrids, :smln:

I do except keeper should not release something like we see here eg. jag x convict" there is no unique looking in them!

as for Midas x red devil, to behonest I have never seen a real midas nor pure red devil! who ever the first person to release them into the market is a real egg! :an!gry

crossbreeding fish looking similar i totally against eg. cuban x jag! i have them but i never intend to try because i am more concern the senario of midas/red devil!

The flowerhorn" the fact i love to try is to creat something unique and different!

things with flowerhorn making is breeder arent really sure of the total out come after the second or third greneration offspring!

the fact is after the result of 2nd 0r third generation the breeder may still not satify with his product then he wil try to outcross breeding it with another species to try achieving it form, colours, pattern!

Its a great goal to be achieve! just like the EBJD, totally in-line breeding and that final product is looking real hot till now!

The out-crossing different types of fish" in my opinoin, if it look nice and unique it a keeper for me!

Not many people oversea cnanot keep their hands off the Super red Texas" jagxfestae, bonsai parrot..

In natural habitate their shall be purity, in-house aquarium i think it great to be creative!

Culling" its not so hard to do really, boil your kettle and way they go!

• 2 weeks later...
$200 for a hybrid. bit excessive dont ya think

with true super Texas you would be lucky to score it for $200 from oversea..

bottom line is that guy think he got it red :slfg: but until we see he super red texas parents the my only guessing is he only in the first of stepping stone in the making of SRT.

anyway very good on him to kick start this SRT project here in NZ.

Personally, If I had the time, money, finances, oh and brains I would attempt to breed a green african. Not sure if this is even possible and is simply a whim of fancy but would love to have a neon green african.

just noticed the other day that there is a "Pseudotropheus zebra" in Axelrod's mini atlas that looks decidedly neon green

• 1 year later...