FLUVAL FX5 OR EHEIM ..??

dattofish

as per my other thread about the 750l tank getting built, need to upgrade my filter an am a bit unsure of what filter to go for,i have a eheim pro2 at the moment for my 400l an has been sweet brought it 2nd hand but havent had a problem but now dont know what to go for the fluval fx5 because its reasonable priced but dont know if its really worth the extra $ to get the eheim any help would be great

oyea ya iv been gooleing about fx5 an get alot of good an bad feedback bout them so duno but yea for the price im going to try it

interesting... everyone I know who has one can't speak of them highly enough. what sort of bad feedback have they got???

worst comment I ever heard was too much flow rate, but that was because the guy got it free with a 120L low long tank so kinda to be espected

if you calculate 10w in the life of the filter, on 24/7.... you will see that paying for a good brand with low power consumption is worth it with in 2 years. dont get caught up in a false economy!

you get cheap sun sun return pumps.... all of which consume more power than las vegas at night.

i would do fluval fx5....

for the price of a eheim pro - you can get 2 fx5s. 2fx5s will outfilter the eheim. 1x eheim pro does not equate to 2 fx5s

I love eheims (have 9 of various sizes) because they're so quiet, but if I was to purchase a new filter, I would be going with the FX5 because they're pretty amazing for the price.

Yeah its bang for your buck really. Eheims are good... But value wise... Fx5 is king.

if you calculate 10w in the life of the filter, on 24/7.... you will see that paying for a good brand with low power consumption is worth it with in 2 years. dont get caught up in a false economy!

you get cheap sun sun return pumps.... all of which consume more power than las vegas at night.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... 3-compared

POWER CONSUMPTION

Filters are used 24/7 365 days of the year so power is important. The Eheim is the clear winner here averaging 27w against the Fluvals 51w so the fluval would cost nearly twice as much a year to run as the Eheim.

So the Fluval costs nearly double what the FX5 does to run per year...

I think you're looking around $600 for the 2080 from that German website Hovmoller posted (IIRC) so perhaps you'd get two used FX5 for that price, but not really comparing apples with apples...

yes, in saying that, i find the fx5 gruntier... i was referring to cheaper chinese stuff, not eheim, eheim is definitely very efficient.

fx5 value for money vs water crankput (new word i made up) vs initial cost vs capacity

fx5 has so much power in terms of turn over, mech filtration is awesome, clarity is good.

but yes, if you look at power, then over 24/7 cycle, 1x fx5 to 1x eheim ... eheim wins...

but i think fx5 will filter more.

also, initial purchase price, you can get 2x fx5... make sense?

i gu3ess depends on the tank.

eheim is really focused on extreme bio filtration.... not turn over as such looking at the capacity of the filter as well, can contain more bio media.