barclaya flowers

doddle69

From what I just read you can just leave them to open and drop the seeds back into the tank, that is if you want more of them spread through out your tank dude.

Btw got a picture of it? I have never seen one other than the pics I just seen on google, going to have to look into getting a couple now lol. Where did you get yours from?

Here is some information from Aquatic Plant Central about propagation;

"As seeds start to develop, the enlarged area grows and when the seeds are mature, starts to dissolve. It is highly recommendable to cut off the flower stalk when that happens so that it doesn't make a mess of the aquarium. Inside the pod is a white jelly-like substance that encloses numerous thorny and tan-colored seeds. Separate them from the jelly and transfer them to an area that receives unimpeded light and is protected. A sandy area in a tank with sedate fish or a dish in an emersed setup are ideal. Even scattering them about the foreground of an established tank will result in a fair number of specimens appearing over the next few months."

i will take some pic's tonight

i got the ages ago off kiwiplymouth but they died off and it started growing again about 6 to 8 weeks ago.

i think ill set up a small tank n get them to grow in there.

its a cool plant i really need a red one thou and a taller tank.

Once they start they can keep throwing up flowers for a while, then they might die back for a while but will come away again. You can move the flowers or leave them to drop but do not gravel vac as the can take up to a year to germinate. They like good light and a rich media. A few people have bred them recently, my experience goes back a ways.

+1 to Alan

These are funny plants. They get mature then flower like crazy and if you let the seed heads mature on the plant, they will pop and the seeds will disperse throughout the tank. Then the mature plant will die off and some time later (up to a year) it will come back and all the seeds in the tank will start to grow at the same time. I tried pinching off the flowers to keep them from dying back, but it just prolonged the die back.

+1 to Alan

These are funny plants. They get mature then flower like crazy and if you let the seed heads mature on the plant, they will pop and the seeds will disperse throughout the tank. Then the mature plant will die off and some time later (up to a year) it will come back and all the seeds in the tank will start to grow at the same time. I tried pinching off the flowers to keep them from dying back, but it just prolonged the die back.

i hope it doesnt die off lol it died off a week after i got them n only had it come back about 8 weeks ago.

ill be keeping a eye on the flowers as i dont want the seeds in this tank.

• 1 month later...