plywood under tank - should it be 1 piece?

henward

I have never been game but I know a few people who have (and some still do have) the tanks sitting on the steel frame with just strips of poly over the metal. One still going has the tanks then glued to the stands with RTV and the tanks have been through a few pretty reasonable (hi 4s) shakes and has only lost water and some fish. I built mine when Christchurch was not prone to shakes--yea right.

I have never been game but I know a few people who have (and some still do have) the tanks sitting on the steel frame with just strips of poly over the metal. One still going has the tanks then glued to the stands with RTV and the tanks have been through a few pretty reasonable (hi 4s) shakes and has only lost water and some fish. I built mine when Christchurch was not prone to shakes--yea right.

i wouldn't be game to either but in theory it should be sweet i think. as long as the perimeter of the base panel is fully supported the middle isn't going to need any support. the same as having a large window, no support in the middle of that and as long as the glass is strong enough to cope with the loading, job done.

i wouldn't be game to either but in theory it should be sweet i think. as long as the perimeter of the base panel is fully supported the middle isn't going to need any support. the same as having a large window, no support in the middle of that and as long as the glass is strong enough to cope with the loading, job done.

So you are saying that all you need is the edges supported, the middle doesnt need supports?

so in essense, havintg more supports in the middle of the base in ways of more square tubing would then increase safety even more?

so, in theory.

you can have a stand, say, my stand is 3m long.

have supports every 30 cms or so. and have only a 20 to 25mm poly, no ply?

that will be fine?

So you are saying that all you need is the edges supported, the middle doesnt need supports?

yes as long as the glass is strong enough to span that. It's like a lintel over a window in a wall, the window can be 6m or more as long as the lintel is strong enough to support what is loaded on it. The more the load the stronger the lintel needs to be. It comes down to loading and strengths.

so in essense, havintg more supports in the middle of the base in ways of more square tubing would then increase safety even more?

not always, it may just be a waste of material but will make the stand stronger in the way of bracing.

so, in theory.

you can have a stand, say, my stand is 3m long.

have supports every 30 cms or so. and have only a 20 to 25mm poly, no ply?

that will be fine?

i think so but it will be cheaper just to put a sheet of particle board over the frame than it will be too make the frame with more supports.

this is his stand, no supports at all across the front

stand.jpg

Whoa, no supports on the front of the tank????

why?

might bend!

is that your tank?

:facepalm: you are reading this thread a?

as above, it belongs to a guy in aussie, there is also a link to his thread. No supports in front so the sump can go in and it top member is strong enough to support the tank without bending.

this tank is bigger than what your proposing, it has been done and is full. He hasn't posted pics of it stocked yet but i'm sure it is by now.

Have your made like this and you'll be sweet :thup:

:facepalm: you are reading this thread a?

as above, it belongs to a guy in aussie, there is also a link to his thread. No supports in front so the sump can go in and it top member is strong enough to support the tank without bending.

this tank is bigger than what your proposing, it has been done and is full. He hasn't posted pics of it stocked yet but i'm sure it is by now.

Have your made like this and you'll be sweet :thup:

:slfg:

missed the links! found them:D

will look at them now.

oh ok.

wow, kinda freaky! no bars in front, but looks cool cos i also want a sump under the tank.

my dimensions proposed is 3m by 1.2m by 70ish cms.

so it goes further out then long... wonder if the different dimensions will make a difference?

the tank im proposing is approx 2600L, this one is about 2100L - 20% less water.

but ill ask the engineering company if this is ok in his opinion, I guess, i want to be able to sleep at night haha... looks awesome with out the bars in front!

at same time, i will hide it with a 'cabinet' eventually. sump can inserted through the side in my design.

the extra depth (front to back) adds to the loaded dimension of the beam but it doesn't effect the strength required as much as the overall span of the beam i don't think. so increasing your length by 300mm will increase the loading on the beam more than if you increase the depth by 300mm.

I am leaning in this direction. but of course can and prob change with more feedback.

more support bars under the tank to reduce the large spaces of glass unsupported (for peace of mind)

i will use a thicker poly layer to cushion tank, but i MAY use a thinner play just under the poly against the stand to stop the poly from getting squashed on the stand too much.

ply is there purely to stop the poly pressing beyong the support bars.

thoughts?