Plant Advice + Help

Bay7

Hi All,

I've got a small square pot about 3" x 3" x 3" that is going in one of my tanks (Fluval Chi 19L).

I have the standard LED downlighters in there for illumination. They do shine very brightly and penetrate right to the bottom of the tank.

Firstly, is what I'm after is advice on a very short 'grass' or 'moss' type of plant that I can put in the pot. Ideally to dome just over the top of the pot and to fill it to all edges (a square patch). Something that would be OK with my light-source and generally easy to care for please.

Secondly, I could drop the pot off to someone local and would be really greatful if they could plant it for me and show me how its done :thup: , as I have no experience as yet with setting up and growing plants. I'd obviously be willing to pay for materials and time. Hmmm, should this be in the Trade Section? :dunno:

Sorry, forgot to mention that its a Freshwater tank sitting at a temp of 27 degrees C.

Cheers all.

If the lighting was adequate and you could find it, I'd recommend hairgrass. It grows to about 5cm in height and sounds like what you're after. If you couldn't source any of that, Java or Xmas moss would suffice. Can't help with planting though, I'm a bit of a drive away :P

Carine have a pot of...*forgot name of grasslike plant* :facepalm: for $11. This could do a 10cm diametre circle. I'm happy to come round and help you plant it, but I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to achieve. You are putting a pot into the tank, why not just plant the grass into substrate? Is there substrate? Substrate will definitely help with keeping these plants alive.

Thanks all for the advice.

Sheepsnana, I'll check Carine tomorrow and see if I can find what you're talking about, and thank you very much for your offer. I may take you up on it.

Fishguy, do you know what Sheepsnana is talking about, perhaps you can help me tomorrow?

Yes, I'll be putting the little square pot in my tank. I presume I'll need to fill it up with substrate first as it's approx 3" deep, but do I need anything else in there.........like a peat or mulch or something?

There are a few little square pots of different sizes in the tank and each will hold a different type of plant. They all sit on top of a black/white chip substrate at the moment.

Had to keep the Mrs happy you see as it goes along with the Feng Shwoosh :facepalm: look of the the tank.

It houses my one Betta.