Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Plant Advice + Help

Featured Replies

Hi All,

I've got a small square pot about 3" x 3" x 3" that is going in one of my tanks (Fluval Chi 19L).

I have the standard LED downlighters in there for illumination. They do shine very brightly and penetrate right to the bottom of the tank.

Firstly, is what I'm after is advice on a very short 'grass' or 'moss' type of plant that I can put in the pot. Ideally to dome just over the top of the pot and to fill it to all edges (a square patch). Something that would be OK with my light-source and generally easy to care for please.

Secondly, I could drop the pot off to someone local and would be really greatful if they could plant it for me and show me how its done :thup: , as I have no experience as yet with setting up and growing plants. I'd obviously be willing to pay for materials and time. Hmmm, should this be in the Trade Section? :dunno:

Sorry, forgot to mention that its a Freshwater tank sitting at a temp of 27 degrees C.

Cheers all.

If the lighting was adequate and you could find it, I'd recommend hairgrass. It grows to about 5cm in height and sounds like what you're after. If you couldn't source any of that, Java or Xmas moss would suffice. Can't help with planting though, I'm a bit of a drive away :P

Carine have a pot of...*forgot name of grasslike plant* :facepalm: for $11. This could do a 10cm diametre circle. I'm happy to come round and help you plant it, but I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to achieve. You are putting a pot into the tank, why not just plant the grass into substrate? Is there substrate? Substrate will definitely help with keeping these plants alive.

  • Author

Thanks all for the advice.

Sheepsnana, I'll check Carine tomorrow and see if I can find what you're talking about, and thank you very much for your offer. I may take you up on it.

Fishguy, do you know what Sheepsnana is talking about, perhaps you can help me tomorrow?

Yes, I'll be putting the little square pot in my tank. I presume I'll need to fill it up with substrate first as it's approx 3" deep, but do I need anything else in there.........like a peat or mulch or something?

There are a few little square pots of different sizes in the tank and each will hold a different type of plant. They all sit on top of a black/white chip substrate at the moment.

Had to keep the Mrs happy you see as it goes along with the Feng Shwoosh :facepalm: look of the the tank.

It houses my one Betta.

I have about half a cup of left over JBL aquabasis plus, that'l do for the substrate and we can have a look through the plants

cya tomorrow

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.