Frustration On Getting Tank Ready To Receive Fish

Donna O

I have had a Jebo R362 tank sitting for about 6 weeks trying to get the chemical balance right. :nilly: I thought I almost had it - Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0 and Ammonia .25 but was advised to do a 50% water change and now my Nitrate is 10.0, Ammonia still .25 and Nitrite is 0. I have been adding 'stability' on a daily basis (half a capful) and once a pinch of fish food last week. I am keen to get fish in as even though the tank sounds relaxing and looks great I would love to see some fishes swimming around. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get my tank stabilised. I understand that the size of my tank would allow no more than 10 inches of fish but thats fine by me.

I have been going to my local fish shop and have been following their advice. He said NOT to put any fish in until the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia where at zero as they would die. He said to use stability and do water changes and by adding fish food would start the cycle. I obviously don't know what I am doing but now am not sure if the advice I have been given is correct. Will 6 neons be enough to start cycling the tank? I am as green as they come but very willing to learn. This fish business is harder than I thought but I know it will be worth it.

If your ammonia were 0.25 ppm and you did a 50% water change, it should have dropped to 0.125 ppm. So, I suspect that you're not reading the colours right, or the kit is off.

I suggest you retest with tap water and compare the colours ( need another tube if you're using the API kits ).

Nitrates should not rise after a water change.

Nitrites should not be 0 if your ammonia is 0.25 ppm after 6 weeks.

Dunno if anyone else here has used Seachem Stability, but looks like others here have had great success with TLC StartSmart as their bacteria in a bottle.

I know some people do it, but doing a fishless cycle using fish food ( or dead shrimp or other organic material) is not recommended by some people because it encourages the growth of Saprolegnia in your tank. Better to use pure ammonia. Since you're using Seachem Stability I can guess which who your local LFS is!

Since Zev is your neighbour, perhaps he can donate some live filter material to get you started.

I can give you a bit of filter media, not sure what a Jebo has in it but I have ceramic noodles that we can swap if you like, but you will probably need to add a little fish or two at the same time or the bacteria will not multiply very fast.

I would certainly appreciate some filter media Zev. The Jebo is like an Aqua One with filter system in the lid - ceramic noodles, white filter pads, course black scouring pad filter. I have just carried out the tank test with the following results: PH 7.6, High PH 8.0, Nitrate 5.0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0.25. I can purchase a couple of fish no problems there. When would be a convenient time to catch up Zev? I live in St Leonards - just off Grays Rd.

Shh Sophia - he has not worked out who I am at the HBAS meetings yet! No Graeme, no gender thingy, just a long story about trying to choose a TradeMe name when the one you were going to use was taken, then picking one on the spur of the moment without considering the ramifications of it.

Weekend would be best Donna, I can swap you about a cup full of noodles, pm me your address and phone number and we can set it up from there.

Shh Sophia - he has not worked out who I am at the HBAS meetings yet! No Graeme, no gender thingy, just a long story about trying to choose a TradeMe name when the one you were going to use was taken, then picking one on the spur of the moment without considering the ramifications of it.

Graham, I'm guessing you pictured her looking rather like this ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeSbXzeOEw8jVm3G9ORc3HjVcliKSeqpHJgNz6bU8PQ3bXh6mF