fish keeping and field of study

Zuri_08

Question:

1) Why has fish keeping changed so much over the last few years?

I was reading an article (http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1857): On the topic of book resources, this article suggests that in the past fish keeping was successful without current technology, and most books were written before the arrival of the new technologies. However in the modern world there is less time for effective fish keeping and technology was developed to save time; "Much of the new technology available today helps reduce maintenance, and can extend the time between water changes. Alternatively, it can improve water quality in an existing system."

I am wondering; 2) what is the 'technology' that this article is referring to? Planted tanks? Filtration systems? Are the new products based on old methods of fish keeping? 3) What sort of research went into the design of the new technologies? i.e. were biologists, biological studies involved?

I'm was reminded of all the helpful advice offered when I was having trouble with fighting neons (they are all getting along good now with a few more added to the tank), and I suddenly wondered 4) if any systematic study had been done in terms of analysing the behaviour of 'pet' fish species?

Here is one I randomly found on the internet:

The effect of group size on the behaviour and welfare of four fish species commonly kept in home aquaria

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/ ... ls/applan/ , and paste this title in the search bar.

That leads me to another question; 5) how many expert fish keepers are also biologists/ecologists or work in a field related to fish keeping? (and how many would like to!)

Wow, this is a jam packed posting so if you have read to this point you deserve to go buy yourself a new fish! (or a chocolate bar ;-) )

I somehow turned a hobby into a proffesion (don't ask how) As I was planning on doing marine biology but found I can't dive due to asthma. there are a few biologists studying fish behaviour over in Townsville at the James Cook University.

I personally don't think fishkeeping has changed that much, just a lotn better marketing and a lot quickler access to resources via the internet, but in general most fishkeeping ideas are decades old and just being refined (I have read a book claiming a heavily planted tank using a homemade pressurised canister filter that thrived with one waterchange every 3-6 months, the book was from the 1950's)

much of the research is done by the manufacturers of the products, all research needs to be funded by someone and the manufacturers are pretty much the only source of funding, also a lot of stuff is home made innovation.

and now im off to buy a chocolate fish

(I have read a book claiming a heavily planted tank using a homemade pressurised canister filter that thrived with one waterchange every 3-6 months, the book was from the 1950's)

What is your issue with this statement? As I understand it, low tech planted tanks only need to do water changes every 6 months. In fact I'm not sure they even "need" to do it that frequently.

What is your issue with this statement? As I understand it, low tech planted tanks only need to do water changes every 6 months. In fact I'm not sure they even "need" to do it that frequently.

I agree. Plants are natural filters, if you have enough plants and you don't overstock, water changes become few and far between.

I agree. Plants are natural filters, if you have enough plants and you don't overstock, water changes become few and far between.

I agree with what Sam has said, I do water changes every 3weeks on my planted tank now because my tank has balanced it's self out.

Thanks to those who read that post of mine! Imaginary chocolate fishes for you all!

There are some interesting comments about the planted tank. No water changes for 3 to 6 months? Does that include fish or plants only?

How do you keep the plants free from algae and cyanobacteria (if that issue arises)??

I have a lot of plants and not so many fish. I did a water change the other day - the first it has had since February.

In ye olde days there was little in the way of filtration often as not and if they did have filters, they were most likely to be under gravel or box filters.

(I have read a book claiming a heavily planted tank using a homemade pressurised canister filter that thrived with one waterchange every 3-6 months, the book was from the 1950's)

I don't have an issue with this and think the balanced way is a valid and successful method of fishkeeping, what I'm trying to point out though is that it is not a new Idea even though it seems to be pushed as one.

I'm surprised that got taken as being an issue the way it was worded... oh well.

I somehow turned a hobby into a proffesion (don't ask how) As I was planning on doing marine biology but found I can't dive due to asthma. there are a few biologists studying fish behaviour over in Townsville at the James Cook University.

I personally don't think fishkeeping has changed that much, just a lotn better marketing and a lot quickler access to resources via the internet, but in general most fishkeeping ideas are decades old and just being refined (I have read a book claiming a heavily planted tank using a homemade pressurised canister filter that thrived with one waterchange every 3-6 months, the book was from the 1950's)

much of the research is done by the manufacturers of the products, all research needs to be funded by someone and the manufacturers are pretty much the only source of funding, also a lot of stuff is home made innovation.

and now im off to buy a chocolate fish

Fish keeping as a profession must be a lot of fun!!

I currently have two books on fish keeping; The perfect aquarium published 2005, and The complete guide to aquarium fishkeeping, published 2001 (first published 1996).

The older book definitely seems more practical and is well written. The newer book is not so well written but has everything you need to know and in more detail with more pictures. Otherwise there is little difference between advised methods and equipment.

Therefore, it must be advertising and the internet that is the 'technology' that is making fish keeping different! After all, the internet can instantly answer any question you have, so no time wasted trying to figure it out or finding someone else who might know....

I also like seeing images of others aquariums, usually thinking 'wow', and 'how did they do that?' :spop:

I have a lot of plants and not so many fish. I did a water change the other day - the first it has had since February.

In ye olde days there was little in the way of filtration often as not and if they did have filters, they were most likely to be under gravel or box filters.

Interesting, so how and why have the filters changed now?

I did read under gravel filters were not suitable for plants, but I don't know anything about box filters.

I have a 60L low tech planted tank I set up in Feb, and it has a few zebra danios, and some snails. No water change yet, only top ups for evaporation. Ammonia 0, and nitrates were low when I last checked. Sits in the north facing window and not much algae either.

Wow! The books advise against putting the tank near a window, but it must work for your tank. My little tank is by a window too (because there was no where else to put it) and is doing ok too, but is still new.

So, if you are going by toxins in the water (ammonia, nitrates) at what point 'should' the water be changed?

sheepsnana borrowed one of my older books, can't remember the title, but its one of the best I've found, the older ones (circa 1960's) are great as they tell you how to DIY most things, one of them I had had a comment to the effect that commercial tanks are untrustworthy and you should make your own, then went into how to make a steel framed tank using rubberized window putty.

also little gems like using weaving cane as cheap airstones, how to use a small tube to remove hard to get at fish waste, blowing your own glass pippettes etc...

Wow! The books advise against putting the tank near a window, but it must work for your tank. My little tank is by a window too (because there was no where else to put it) and is doing ok too, but is still new.

So, if you are going by toxins in the water (ammonia, nitrates) at what point 'should' the water be changed?

I think it depends on whom you read. Most advise against putting tanks against sunlight windows because of algae growth. But a heavily planted tank can out compete the algae so it's not much of an issue. And the sun light beats having to pay for artificial lighting.

When should the water be changed? I don't know. What do I get by changing the water? Adding Co2? But I add Excel occasionally. And I keep adding fish food which I can remove by trimming the plants.

I did read under gravel filters were not suitable for plants, but I don't know anything about box filters.

Box filters are used in breeding tanks. I'm not sure if it's any different than a sponge filter except you can replace the filter wool.

I've tried to buy external box filters that I saw in old aquarium books but no LFS I've visited has even heard of such a beast!

External box filters are air driven and have an open top. I was wanting some to put my lucky bamboo into!

I found diagrams of them, and how they worked in You and Your Aquarium, Dick Mills © 1986. Also has an engraving of a 19th Century iron/glass Victorian aquarium, but not interested in getting one of those!

I often hear people claim UGF's are no good for plants but this is not so. As long as you have a decent thickness of substrate they are fine.

The filters today are much more efficient than of old plus the media is really high tech in the surface area they have compared to the basic stuff they used to use.