I got bored one day...

camtang

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people including Tom Barr recommend not doing a water change that often even as low as once a month if you have problems with algae.

This method can be useful but it depends both what type of algae you have and what's causing it. No real one size fits all for algae but I can almost guarantee a lack of CO2 is responsible in this tank.

Because IME, the cause of most algae issues is a lack of CO2. Any tank I don't run CO2 on gets algae, it's that simple. I do get a bit of algae when starting a new tank or from direct sunlight even with CO2 but that's easily fixed. Sort the CO2 and you should be algae free.

I would like to argue this a bit. The tank I have beside this has zero algae in it, runs no c02, same light times if not longer.I think it has less flow in the tank and gets the same amount of fert as this one ( more over the last 2 weeks as I have stoped doesing this tank now). Only major diffrence is the substract mix and it has fish in it.

The plants are similar as well. Neither seem to be going crazy as far as growing goes but the one in this thread is growing a bit more noticably than the other.

Any thoughts?

The mouthfuls of water I've had didn't taste particularly bad. The one time I sucked on the outlet of a filter and it spit a bunch of a the brown gunk from in the filter into my mouth was a lot more unpleasant. Not so much from the taste but mostly because it was chunky.

The mouthfuls of water I've had didn't taste particularly bad. The one time I sucked on the outlet of a filter and it spit a bunch of a the brown gunk from in the filter into my mouth was a lot more unpleasant. Not so much from the taste but mostly because it was chunky.

That is gross :bow: saltwater doesn't taste good either :dno:

BBA is caused by flucuating CO2 levels.

so if the other tank doesnt have Co2 running in it the CO2 levels shoul be stable, right?

in the tank with algae you have been starting CO2 now its empty so you will have flucating Co2 levels, right?

i am of the same opinion as Sam.

in my tank ive been running 40ppm consistantly and i have 0 bba

:rolfl:

BBA is caused by flucuating CO2 levels.

so if the other tank doesnt have Co2 running in it the CO2 levels shoul be stable, right?

in the tank with algae you have been starting CO2 now its empty so you will have flucating Co2 levels, right?

i am of the same opinion as Sam.

in my tank ive been running 40ppm consistantly and i have 0 bba

I didnt know that caused BBA, in that case how come my flatmates tank has a few tuffs of it popping up, he has never used co2 in his tank at all?

So on the consistent co2 theory, once the bottle is filled and running again, should that mean the BBA is elimintated?

The more I look the less BBA I am finding, so I think its a diffrent algae that I have.

P.S Planted tanks are way to much effort, how do you planted guys keep up with all this.

Regarding your flatmates tank, I already explained that when you do a water change from the taps it will contain quite a high level of co2 which once used causes fluctuating co2 levels.

Also I personally love planted tanks it's all about patience and studying what works and doesn't. I have 6 tanks going and they all have plants to some degree lol.