My 400L Planted Tank

Ghaz

Hey Guys and Gals,

So i finished playing around with the tank over the weekend and after much growing and trimming the layout is starting to take shape, still quite a bit of riccia floating around which the filter should take care of eventually.

More Photo's can be found Here http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=60482 and here http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh624/ilazahg/

91e7dcdf.jpg

Still a bit more to go, Plan on making a Xmas moss wall at the back, with patches of Riccia amongst it, which will make it look alot less bare, and should hide the overflow box. Will probably get a tiger lotus, or something with a nicer colour to off set the green.

Also need to cut a few holes in the hood to allow for the filter pipes, and then will be installing lights into the hood, and add in a proper CO2 setup.

inhabitants are mainly Gourami's, Loaches, and Pleco's.

Thinking of adding some dwarf Cichlids Rams and/or Apisto's, a group of 10-20 maybe more of a schooling fish and some more loaches, hopefully be doing that this weekend. any other ideas for other inhabitants? its just looking empty atm lol.

Will probably chuck this guy in, who is currently living with a group of Pink and White Guppy's in a 25L Fluval Chi.

6d1e48f9.jpg

Next will be getting rid of excess Riccia and Glosso from my 200L plant growing Tank, and turning it into a African Tank for the Dining room, and a 120L might be turned into another Planted Tank.

I also have a spare garage, which once its insulated, and have some benchs made up will be a new fish room :happy2:

Amazing dude, how did you get the glosso to grow so dense with only 2x 54w T5? Also the riccia looks awesome growing like that!

Glosso was growing in a smaller tank, along with riccia, tank size for plant growth tank 1200*30*30 and had my DIY blue/red and white LEDS. 1r/3b/10w ratio. so the high output of the LEDs and the shallow water level gave enough brightness. Should be some details about the lights somewhere on the forums.

Has been growing in the smaller tank for about 4 months, was originally going to be a Betta breeding tank, but put that idea on hold while the plants grew out. Had a DIY CO2 setup on it, which will be upgraded on the big tank, and dosed with Flourish.

The riccia, and Glosso has been in this tank since last weekend, and still seems to be nice and dense, so looking good so far, so should have a decent idea of lighting needs next weekend. The riccia on the branches should be fine as they're quite high up in the tank.

not too sure if i will run T5's and LED's or just the T5's plus another couple, will see how the growth is, but need to sort the lights out once the hood is fixed up. The T5's will do for now :D

:hail: Wow! how do you get your plants to grow like that?

lights, ferts, trimming and patience lol. tbh i am more into plants than fish, although that is slowly changing lol.

Riccia naturally grows in a tight rounded formation, so just attach it to driftwood, rocks, tiles, or just leave it freefloating and it will grow, then trim it although it doesnt need to much work. only annoying bit is the small parts that float to the top.

Dwarf hairgrass i got in a 5-10cm deep plastic tub and grows as a massive mat, i can just cut squares, or any shape i want and lay it down in the tank.

Same deal with the Glosso, the shallowness and high light output of the LED's makes it grow as dense as it is. i just took a 20x30cm square of each and laid it out.

i must be doing something right, have had the marble queen sword for about a month and have taken 11 new cuttings off it, which have put a few in the dwarf puffer tank, and the rest need to be sold or given away.

The Windelov is looking a bit worse for wear as i completely forgot i had it in a bucket with other driftwood that was waterlogging, and that was outside, so alot of new growth just starting the last week or so.

will need quite a bit of Xmas moss to cover the back wall, so will probably grow out a bit under my LED's then chuck it in attached to some plastic mesh on a suction cup

This is stunning - did you say those 'tree tops' are riccia? how did you grow them like that? Ties to hold them down?

cheers

Yeah pretty much, just wrapped it around the branches and tied down with a bit of thread. And it grows from there. Giving it a lil trim to keep its shape every now and then.

Do the same with rocks or tiles to weigh the riccia down as it loves to float.

Thanks for all the positive comments :happy1:

WOW :hail:

does the riccia stick to the wood like moss does ?

Kinda, but not really. Riccia doesnt have roots, so wont stick to the rocks or driftwood like moss does. Its more the thread that keeps it in place, and once it starts to grow the shape will hold it in place, but i leave the thread because its concealed by new growth. but as stated before, it loves to float so if it hasn't grown nice and dense it will just float to the top.

With it on the branches like in my tank, its higher up and gets more light so i dont have a problem with that. so im not too such how the stuff at the bottom will doas the tanks 66cm deep.

As for selling the stuff, i will look into how i can sort out shipping, as i've never shipped fish or plants before and work weekdays, and spare time is taken up by gardening, fish, and working on the house so not alot of time to get out and do it. but i have ALOT of everything that will be binned if i dont offer it up lol, so anyone wanting to pickup feel free to PM me and ill share the love :D

oh also, you may notice the mound of riccia thats on the bottom under the 'tree', it's held down by the glosso thats growing in it, the glosso has grown through the tangle, and the roots hold the riccia down. not too sure if it appeals to me as oppose to a clean look mound of riccia, but it works lol.

Hi Ghaz

Sorry to jack your thread but I can't seem to PM

I am trying to get my hands on Glosso plant for my new aquarium and see that you mention you would be getting rid of some excess you have. Bit of a silly question would it be possible to get some plant from you if you don't mind..?

Cheers

Opticalblue

Hey Guys and Gals,

So i finished playing around with the tank over the weekend and after much growing and trimming the layout is starting to take shape, still quite a bit of riccia floating around which the filter should take care of eventually.

More Photo's can be found Here http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=60482 and here http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh624/ilazahg/

91e7dcdf.jpg

Still a bit more to go, Plan on making a Xmas moss wall at the back, with patches of Riccia amongst it, which will make it look alot less bare, and should hide the overflow box. Will probably get a tiger lotus, or something with a nicer colour to off set the green.

Also need to cut a few holes in the hood to allow for the filter pipes, and then will be installing lights into the hood, and add in a proper CO2 setup.

inhabitants are mainly Gourami's, Loaches, and Pleco's.

Thinking of adding some dwarf Cichlids Rams and/or Apisto's, a group of 10-20 maybe more of a schooling fish and some more loaches, hopefully be doing that this weekend. any other ideas for other inhabitants? its just looking empty atm lol.

Will probably chuck this guy in, who is currently living with a group of Pink and White Guppy's in a 25L Fluval Chi.

6d1e48f9.jpg

Next will be getting rid of excess Riccia and Glosso from my 200L plant growing Tank, and turning it into a African Tank for the Dining room, and a 120L might be turned into another Planted Tank.

I also have a spare garage, which once its insulated, and have some benchs made up will be a new fish room :happy2: