Sexing Gourami

Kumra

also depends on age, it becomes quite obvious once they hit their teenage years (kinda like humans :P )

heres a sample for your regular opaline gourami

Female

fw4004.jpg

Male

423608491_ed2a21b286.jpg

if our dealing with Dwarf gourami its even easier, males = colourful Females = blander, and a harder to find, normally need to be specialy ordered

If you want to breed them then I would separate them into their own tank, doesn't have to be big anything around 60ltrs should do. Make sure the water level is not too high somewhere around 15-20cm should be sufficient and get some type of floating plant that they can build the bubblenest around. To condition them I would be feeding them alot of live or frozen food like white worms, bloodworms, brineshrimp and daphnia. Tank temp should be kept at a constant 26c and make sure the tank has a lid to keep the air above the water nice and humid for the babies if you are successful in getting them to breed. Once the female has laid her eggs and the male has placed them all in the bubblenest remove her without disturbing the nest if possible. The male should be left with the nest and fry until they are free swimming and then you can feed them baby brine shrimp and/or microworms. Small and frequent water changes are important once the babies are free swimming, around 15-20pct every day or so.

Thanks heaps. I already have them in a separate tank with the water at about 20cm with lots of floating plastic plant type things. The water temp is about 27C is that alright? I have most of the tank covered by a glass lid and the rest I was going to put some gladwrap over to keep it humid and warm.

They don't appear to want to make a bubble nest or anything and was double checking that they were indeed the male and female (i purchase them from someone along with another 7 juveniles/teens from the parents and was not 100% sure which the parents were amongst them, I assume that they were the slightly bigger ones.)

I assume that a sponge filter is the best way to go in a breeding tank? (100L ish)

I cant seem to find anywhere to purchase live foods from. I can purchase frozen blood worms etc though if they will do.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you are on the right track, just a heads up it is a whole lot easier to raise the fry in a bare bottom tank with no substrate. A sponge filter will be fine and is actually the best type of filtration you can use in a breeding tank.

Frozen bloodworms are fine if that is all you can get, I would also get some high quality flake like JBL or Tetramin brands. You can usually find some whiteworm starter cultures on trademe if you look and there is always microworm cultures on there aswell.

27c is fine for them to breed in just don't let the temp drop below 25c.