supericos paludarium journal

superico

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I really want to get some agassizii again because these ones are simply gorgeous! Best coloured ones in the country we've had so far !drool: If I didn't have that male Super Red then I could get some but I don't want to sell him because he looks really cool and he has a great character :D

So this Thursday I got my last(hopefully not) bach of fish for now:

9 more cardinals

4 rocket pencil fish

P1020861.jpg

1 male red long fin bristlenose

P1020847.jpg

P1020843.jpg

1 more male laetacara curviceps but it looks like its a female and her and my male are a pair.

P1020845.jpg

+ some anubias to grow half above, half below the water.

P1020873.jpg

full school of cardinals

P1020851.jpg

male laetacara curviceps full color

P1020846.jpg

P1020881.jpg

4th above water leaf

P1020869.jpg

and last but not least a good pic of the female agassizi

P1020862.jpg

Excellent fish selection !drool: :hail: I love the Long Fin Bristlenose and the Rocket Pencilfish :thup:

Female Laetacara are shorter and more fatter than the males. Your one does look like a female, but the best way to ID them that I have found is the tip of the female's dorsal fin is round and not pointed like the male.

last couple of females I have seen have been a lot sharper point than normal in the dorsal (still slightly rounded)

for some reason the biggest indicator of in-breeding in these fish seems to be dorsal deformities. (at one time the biggest supplier had around 200 fish from 4 initial fish, after 2 generations of inbreeding most females had kinked dorsals and stunted anal fins, males tended to look fine)

Excellent fish selection !drool: :hail: I love the Long Fin Bristlenose and the Rocket Pencilfish :thup:

thanks

the bristlenoses are amazing when they swim because all their fins fold out and it looks like they double in size

the pencil fish have started getting red and blue anal fins and its quite spectacular to have a closer look at them

• 1 month later...

sorry for not posting for so long but i have been waiting to get some good pics with my new camera(Nikon D5100)

this is only a short update but i will be post more pics and a full update soon

these are shots i have taken of my fish to show what they look like high resolution

bristlenose_zps23d6ed7c.jpg

edited_zps8e39668c.jpg

_DSC0155_zpsd938a761.jpg

_DSC0137_zps717c822d.jpg

_DSC0100_zpsd32e1254.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsac30c53f.jpg

I've always wondered why people do heavily planted tanks as it seems you end up spending more time on the plants then on your fish which kind of defeats the purpose of keeping fish imo. but after reading through this and seeing the progress you've made. i can totally understand why. this is totally awesome. well done :bow:

hi all,

there will be some big changes happening. i will be getting rid of all of my heteranthera zosterifolia/stargrass(which i thought was hygrophila corymbosa 'aroma' or hygrophila guinensis until a while back :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: ) because there is just to much of it now and i cant maintain it properly and i will be replacing it with:

alternanthera reineckii 'red'

hygrophila corymbosa

hygrophila difformis

ludwigia glandulosa

rotala rotundifolia

what one of these do you think will be likely to break the surface and keep growing from there?

plus the echinodorus(still unsure what it is :dunno: ) has started flowering!!!

_DSC0015_zps4bc43b4d.jpg

_DSC0016_zps46ad0d8b.jpg

I've always wondered why people do heavily planted tanks as it seems you end up spending more time on the plants then on your fish which kind of defeats the purpose of keeping fish imo

It's funny that you posted this just before i do a big change in plants. What you say is very true but in my opinion fish are the main attraction of a fish tank while plants are the thing that that the owner of the tank can manipulate and shape to their liking, with no limit, whereas there is a limit to what fish and how many fish you can keep, and once you have reach that limit the fish aspect of the tank, the tank gets a bit boring so people start changing the plants in search of the perfect plant set and placement.

the chain sword has recovered and sent out runners now and has gone from this:

P1020851.jpg

to this:

_DSC0035_zps6214f31b.jpg

and finally as requested a full tank shot( in which you can see why i'm getting rid of the stargrass)

editedDSC0029_zps2aa5b75f.jpg

alternanthera reineckii 'red'

hygrophila corymbosa

hygrophila difformis

ludwigia glandulosa

rotala rotundifolia

what one of these do you think will be likely to break the surface and keep growing from there?

Most likely Hygrophila corymbosa and Alternanthera reineckii.

The tank is looking awesome by the way :hail:

Also have you thought about adding Cyperus alternifolius? Would look awesome in your setup :thup:

• 2 weeks later...