female guppies death 2

shiuh

pointed tail and fins. they are swimming awkwardly

It means there fins are clamped, which suggests either poor water qaulity or more likely stress.

all my female guppys have tail rot

Are you sure it is fin rot and not fin nippers? what other fish are in with them? becuase nipped fins can deteriorate and eventuate into fin rot.

Post some pictures that would be helpful in determining the problem.

Shae

Shiuh said:

again...all my female guppy has tail rot

Seems like this has happened before, and if so, how did you cure it..?

Would be good to know what other fish you have in the tank..?

Also... Look at the damage closely and try to establish if it is a "tear"... or is being "eaten" away by fiungus.. (white fluffy edges)

New tears usually indicate fin nipping, but can also become fungused quite quickly, so it is sometimes hard to tell.

You don't mention the size of the tank, or how many fish you have in there, but unless there is no option... it is not a good idea to dose the whole tank with meds.

Have you the means to seperate the damaged fish and treat them in isolation. You will use less meds, and be able to monitor them much better.

Regards,

Bill.

i did have this disease b4, but i havent figure a way to cure it. as most of my female guppies died. i tried melafix, whitespot cure, spot off cure for them none seem to work.

i have collect 3 bodies today again. now down to my last 2 female guppies. one is pretty sick and another is doing fine as i separated her.

all i have in the tank are platties and lots of them and some male guppies as well. im pretty sure is not a tear as it has white fluffy stuff on their tails and starting to wear off. as i collected the dead bodies today i saw some white fungus stuff on the body.

It must be that time of year. We lost 4 females in the weekend.

They were in a tank on their own. And all water tests were fine.

Just started swimming funny and then died. No sign of any fungus

(that we noticed, anyway) Now down to last 2 females until our babies get a bit older.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same thing a few times I think.....Is it when they are perfectly helathy one day, and then the next day their tails end up in a point? like they are glued together? I looked everywhere in books and on the net for a cure for this but couldn't find one. Ended up losing most of my guppy population......tried everything - added salt, malkolin blue, melafix, those little orange capsules with green powder inside....nothing worked. In the end I just emptied the tank down to the lowest possible and replaced nearly all the water - the already sick ones didn't make it, but prevented any more getting sick. The sad thing is that the males usually get it a few days after the females have died. Small water changes don't see to help the situation either.

As i have explained above it is not a sickness that causes the above simptoms, it is the fact that your male guppys are stressing each other and the female species, males arnt to bright, and will also in some cases try to breed with themselves and other females, this causes stress, stress causes diseases. Add the two together and you = Death.

Suggestion: Reduce the male population in the tanks, make sure regular water changes are done, if you see a fish with clamped fins remove it to a tank by its own and feed it as much live and frozen foods as you can until it is healthy again.

If you see clamped fins DO NOT Medicate. in most cases it does more harm than good and can stress your fish out further, this is a common mistake made by many fish keepers, so dont worry to much.

Feed your fish on frozen and live foods regularly to help keep there diet in good order, which in turn increases there immune system, which can help against getting sick.

If as a result of stress, your fish contract a disease, try find a more natural silution to the illness, such as increaseing the silinity of the water to combat white spot and fin rot.

anything else i should have added people?

Shae

You have contradicted yourself Shae. When he first mentioned clamped fins you recommended Melafix. Now you are saying if you see clamped fins do not medicate!

It appears a number of people are experiencing similar problems every so often Shiuh. In your case it seems to be just females but others are saying they have had both sexes affected.

You didn't tell us the results of your water tests either.

again...all my female guppy has tail rot

You have contradicted yourself Shae. When he first mentioned clamped fins you recommended Melafix. Now you are saying if you see clamped fins do not medicate!

In my haste to help answer, i assumed she/he had tryed useing salt, as that is what is generally reccommended in books and on the web, as livebearers respond well to salt etc. So i suggested Melafix, as i have found it very affective in previous occasions. i did not reccommend melafix for clamped fins, as said above in my haste i did not answer discriptivley enough, i will rectify that to the best of my ability in future, as the answer above your post shows.

Shae

im a He .

well...er...the disease seem to have gone now....im left with one surviving female guppy. as i have to say...its not the population of the males that are dominating the females. i had it once about 10 females and 3 males....i tried everything....best thing to do is to separated the infected ones and medicate them.

i went to animates to the animates the other day and got myself some more females guppies. they are all healthy and as normal. i would suspect the disease might be caused by the changing environment when i got them from the LPS. as the staff always recommend to leave and damp the bag in the tank for a 15 minutes before introducing them into the new tank.

Now i have about 30 new born babies. they are growing fast and i just love guppies. will breed them until i get a pure snakeskin male :lol: :lol: