Breeding Oto's

F15hguy

thought I would challenge myself and was wondering if anyone had any experience breeding Otocinclus catfish.

also was wondering if it would work breeding them under my livebearer breeders, so I would get 2 fish out of one tank.

Love these fish, but way to expensive normally, and have some VERY fat girls atm

nah, no trouble, Lotsa fun though, from what I have read they will breed in a well aged tank, with the right conditions, which happen to be about the same as what I'm running my leopard fish in (and I doubt they will eat the fry as the tank is seriously full of plant for hiding places), Just need a bit more soft green algae growth, and an infusoria culture.

If I have to play around, then even more fun!!!

yeah done that, but then there reading reports and then actually talking to someone who has.

one report interestingly noted that they only spawned on a particular coloured leaf...

but then again, thats for phase two if the let them free and see method fails :P

yeah, more just for them to play with and to add more soft algae to the water (plus they double as an infusoria culture)

more food the happier they will be

p.s. they have just gone in and seem to be settling in great, found a second fat female, so hopefully the skinnier one is a male

Mine spawned the day after I got them, laid eggs on Val leaves, usually only one or two in one spot then the female would dash off to another place and the male would be all over her like a bad smell trying to bend himself over her head :-?

Unfortunately the eggs were gone the next day - 64l moderately planted tank, 70w MH with tankmates being three piggy Dwarf puffers...

lol, male has decided one of the females (the one he has never seen before) is his best mate. both the girls are really fat now (and my tank is really clean), really need to sort out something to lay eggs on, thinking fake plants due to my lighting situation. (was hoping they would lay on the glass as has been reported)

strangely enough they are not going for the algae wafers like they used to, still munching back on anything growing on wood/glass, and picking at the left over flake from the leopard fish.

been a bit busy last couple of days, hope to be able to spend time watching and thinking tomorrow

I don't feed mine anything - I feed the puffers live food, but the ottos have to survive on what is growing in the tank (and there is a fair bit of it). I have dropped flake in there before but it just stays in the tank and I have to vacuum it out because the puffs have eaten or killed all the snails.