New to Cichlids - African or SA

Pippin

...I can see the war slowly starts...

Hey jckingjc tht a nice 800lt u got there, was tht the one selling on trademe that was sitting on a trailer back about 1 year ago? There was that one was going for real cheap no1 keen on it because it massive size!!

What sizes is that tank?

Hey jckingjc tht a nice 800lt u got there, was tht the one selling on trademe that was sitting on a trailer back about 1 year ago? There was that one was going for real cheap no1 keen on it because it massive size!!

What sizes is that tank?

big humphead, mysery colour, extended dorsel fin and solid body.. etc that is why I like A/S. cichlid.

not abt the size! Frondosa and Tilapia buttikoferi are only Africans I like.

What sizes is that tank?

No... I got this tank just about two years. But it was sitting in my garage for a year. I was enjoy my 6 ft then downgrade to this 5 ft this year.

Well I am still confused but have enjoyed reading the posts and other topics. Any good books or web pages you would rec?

hey, my opinion is

:cofn: for the same size of tank, you can keep more Africans than S.As.

:cofn: for the colouratin, African do brigther and multiple colours than S/A cichlid but less mysterious

:cofn: for the aggression, A/S Ameriman Cichlids are the real preds

:cofn: for the size of he fish, you will found the delight of keeping your fish rise up to large size gives you overall achievement

Well I am still confused but have enjoyed reading the posts and other topics. Any good books or web pages you would rec?

Knowing the size of your tank will be a big help in recommending possible species. But if you're interested in cichlids then monsterfishkeepers.com and cichlid-forum.com are both good places to start browsing. Be warned tho that you are likely to end up feeling jealous when you discover all the fantastic species available overseas that we can't get here.

As for books, if you want a "catalogue" of cichlids with pretty pictures and names then the AquaLog books are really good. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... g+cichlids

again, same problem as foreign websites, most of the really pretty stuff you won't find here...

+1 for www.cichlid- forum.com awesome site with heaps of info but as said bear in mind we don't have and can't get the majority of fish they do! Really need to know what size tank (dimensions) you are goin to get before we can really help. At the moment it's just a squabble over who is better than who as far as cichlids go :D