February 24, 200521 yr comment_40589 I recently bought an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer. It came with an Aqua One 105 Maxi Power Head. It wasn't a quiet pump to start with, but we had a brief power out last night and now it sounds like a small helicopter. Anyone got a clue how to quieten it down again? Anyone recommend a quiet power head/ water pump (2200 l/hr)? Maxi Jet 1200 & Mag Drive 3 are the pumps recommended with the Remora Pro, and are meant to be pretty quiet, but I haven't been able to source either here in New Zealand Cheers Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40594 try turning it on and then of again and see how that affects it Report
February 25, 200521 yr Author comment_40599 Hi Brianemone Thanks for your reply. I've tried switching it off and on. I even left it off for ten minutes. No joy. I can't work out how a loss of power could make it suddenly so noisey! It's beyond me. Any recommendations for a quiet pump? Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40604 ive noticed most of the pumps that ive used have started making noise after a while, worst one was the small viaaqua on my brothers skimmer Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40633 pull the impellor out check the shaft is ok then put it back in with a firm push- sometimes this helps if all else fails PM me I have a selection of S/H pumps. Report
February 25, 200521 yr comment_40661 Sometimes they quieten off after a couple of weeks. The Remora Pro (I have one too) put a lot of head pressure on the pump, which can increase noise. I run my one with a pump from Jansens called an extrema. 550 gph and 10 foot head pressure. Report
February 27, 200521 yr comment_40727 They created quite a stir on Reef Central when they first came out, people ranting on how awesome they are. But for me, I'm not totally impressed, however in fairness I'm not using the standard issue pump, mine is slightly higher GPH than recommended, I could not get the exact pump locally. It's not that it doesn't skim, it does. But it pumps a huge amount of air with an inconsistent bubble size, and can be very sensitive, and if I add a bit more pollution than normal the skimmer can go nuts and literally skim out gallons of water overnight. Lucky I got the model with the autodrain. I've also had to put an on/off float switch in the draining container, to make sure if the skimmer goes crazy it will turn off before it takes the tank to lower levels than I want. Now they are being brought in by a shop, presumeably there will also be the correct pump available, so others may have different opinion to me and may have comments on this also. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.