Lime in the water

the new guy

carbon should get rid of the brown tinge but that will depend on what it is to some extent more than likely sediment , you would want some decent carbon though not the cheap stuff. as for lime i hope you dont have any fish in there as the ph will be very high

carbon should get rid of the brown tinge but that will depend on what it is to some extent more than likely sediment , you would want some decent carbon though not the cheap stuff. as for lime i hope you dont have any fish in there as the ph will be very high

I also believe there is abit of sediment because it settles on every surface including the bath.

I can only water change from the same water source though?

oh sorry, thought the lime was in the tank. if you can see it settling mechanical filtration will likely remove a lot of it so the more filtration the better, stirring it up will help get it into the filter. What filter you running?

oh sorry, thought the lime was in the tank. if you can see it settling mechanical filtration will likely remove a lot of it so the more filtration the better, stirring it up will help get it into the filter. What filter you running?

it is a eheim canister. cant remember the model, its in the garage. quite a good one im aware of.

Friends has a high lime content in their water and it caused major problems as it coated jug elements (so they were always having to replace them) and it also coated the aquarium heaters. They used rainwater whenever possible.

Yes same here. we have had to replace our jug once in the 6 months weve been here. i thought that might happen with something in the aquarium.

You can reduce the lime (hardness) with resins such as zeolite but they exchange calcium for sodium. As above---rainwater is cheaper. Unusual to have iron in solution in alkaline water. The ferrous (soluble) state of iron becomes ferric (virtually insoluble) in alkaline conditions.

Might be cheaper and easier to drive to Kaiapoi 20 mins away and get a large tank of water from there. i think that's about the only place in Canterbury where they have not put chlorine in the water. If not ill go for the rain water.